Chapter 6: Torture

Lexy

Hot, searing pain jolted through Lexy's body as a menacingly sharp, silver object not unlike a fur or pine needle was thrust beneath her skin. Yelping, she struggled against the upwalkers' tight bindings, but try as she did, she could not loosen them. She whined in pain, her ears folded back in submission. Still, they would not let her free.

As a rapid onset of fatigue threatened to sweep away her unconsciousness, she sent out a silent, desperate plea to the stars. 

Please help me! I don't know how much longer I can take this. I need to get back to Kaitlyn! Please!

Lexy sighed, unable to fight the drowsiness any longer. Closing her eyes, she drifted into the timeless  of sleep...

• • •

Lexy couldn't remember much. She awoke to a dull, throbbing pain was making her head ache, and an unshakable fog had obscured her vision. As a bright, white light flooded her vision, she whimpered and closed her eyes. Sighing, she drifted back to a fitful sleep.

• • •

Blinking, Lexy awoke, finding herself in a strange, black world. Disconcerted, she tried to stand, but the instant she did, the world began to swim before her eyes, forcing her to sit back down. 

"Wh-where am I?" She called uncertainly, or tried to. Her voice wouldn't obey her. Wobbling slowly to her feet, she shivered, suddenly cold. What was this ghost land?

Trembling, Lexy swallowed, suddenly aware of her parched throat. The instant she wished for water, she noticed a puddle just a few stretches away. Confused, Lexy shuffled to the pond warily.

The water was cold, and somehow held the reflection of stars in it. After lapping up a few mouthfuls, she felt much better. Comfortable at last, she settled down to sleep once more.