CHAPTER VI: LEI

Everything happened in a blink of an eye. Quiver attacked first, the girl on his trail. But both were thrown upward when the ground exploded, revealing the tree's massive roots. Road cement flew everywhere and long gigantic roots snaked towards the fallen villains. Quiver stood up again but he had multiple injuries on his head and arms. A light shone on his hand and his weapon, which was underneath the pile of cement; appeared, making her eyes bulge from its socket. Am I dreaming? The blonde girl managed to crawl out of the mass of concrete, but was badly injured; blood streamed down her right arm so she withdrew from the battle and watched them through her wary eyes.

"We thought you were already out of the picture," Quiver spat to the old lady. "But here you are protecting your long lost niece." Niece?

"I was never out of the picture, boy." With a small movement of the lady's hand, two roots gripped Quiver and tossed him towards a building. A huge crack formed once he hit the surface of the edifice. He coughed blood and the sword dropped from his hand. A second passed and he dropped from the ten feet building, hitting the hard cement. Lei, unable to look at the agonizing sight, turned around and closed her eyes. It was too much. She witnessed deaths before when her adopted parents were murdered by an unknown person. The battle she saw today made her remember the painful memory.

A warm hand touched her shoulder. And as she turned back, she gasped when she met the lady's eyes. Her pale greenish eyes matched her own. But Lei's hair was raven and hers was chocolate brown. After the introduction, they abandoned the fallen villains and started their journey towards her aunt's cabin in the woods.

The moment her aunt relayed Lei's history, her life changed, her future changed. It happened three years ago, but Lei remembered like it was yesterday.

The honking of cars passing by and people chattering waked her from her unpleasant daydream. She arrived in the town square outside the forest. People were busy with their jobs and students walked towards the school. Stores were full of costumers early in the morning. Though it's a small town, buildings stood close to each other, and business boomed in every season.

She started to walk again when a man in a large black coat stumbled towards her and they both fell to the ground. Hard cement smacked her backside and she felt the pain immediately. Ouch. My head. Several passers-by's curious looks made her realize their position. Lying on top of her, the man clutched his left knee while she examined her head for injuries. He was wearing a large leather hat, hiding his face. Once he recovered, he hastily stood up and offered his hand to her. The sun behind him was too bright that she could not see his whole figure, but she took his hand and heaved herself. She fixed her clothes and adjusted her bag from her shoulders.

"I'm sorry", she heard the man said. She was about to reply when he turned towards her and she saw the most beautiful bright blue eyes. She was not able to look at his face properly when the man turned and ran towards the people crossing the street. He disappeared in the corner of a building.

She shrugged, unconcerned of the people's questioning eyes, and continued walking towards her school at the end of the street, but she cannot forget his tantalizing eyes. It felt like he knew her. Or maybe she just imagined it.

"Lei. Over here." She saw Amy, her classmate and close friend, standing near the school's gate waving at her. Once she reached the gate, they started talking about today's class that she had forgotten the suspicious man.

The day passed like a blur, and it was already six in the afternoon when the last bell rang. Nothing new happened except for a few surprise examinations. After she exited the classroom, she started feeling like she was being watched. Students walked in pairs or groups. Working hours ended early so the buses were packed with people. Amy walked home with her boyfriend today, so she was on her own.

She started to walk faster when she neared the forest. Once inside the forest, the creepy feeling of eyes watching her grow. She stopped for a while and looked around. Birds flew overhead in a different unrecognizable pattern. Small animals ran to hide inside the tree or under the bushes. It was a warning. She could use her powers and summon her weapon, but if the predators were humans, it was prohibited to use her skills in front of them.

Then the trees around her began to shake and the intruders jumped down from the branches. One by one, they surrounded her. It was too dark to see their faces but she knew they were all male in black clothes. She remembered the incident three years ago, but she could fight them now. Her training for this. She knew this day would come: that she was going to face her own enemies.

"You're so calm, considering you're outnumbered." She recognized the voice. Behind the tallest guy, a figure appeared and walked towards her. The moon's light illuminated the scarred face of the girl she met three years ago. Her blonde hair was cut short but the hatred in her eyes remained. Dressed in a red flowing gown, Blondie must have thought that she was an easy opponent.

"You're not giving up, aren't you? You even brought backups." If they were as good as Quiver, she might be in a tight situation, but she was not going to go down without a fight.

"You cannot win, little girl." Five men advanced towards, while Blondie and the five others remained watching.

"Who are you?" she asked and lowered her bag to the ground. She was ready to fight.

Blondie laughed and managed to answer, "I'm Ashley Levvi. Youngest daughter of Dmitri Levvi, the Right Hand of the Leader."

The five men in front of her summoned their weapons, two of them used battle-ax and the three had swords. She could not see their hooded face, but she knew they were skilled warriors. Their bodies were raging with muscles; long arms and legs. She was outnumbered, but she wanted to fight them. And if she died, at least she was able to test her skills.

"Kill her," Ashley shouted to her men.

When the men advanced towards her, Lei lifted her hand and her insignia glowed on her right back-hand. Suddenly, her senses were on high alert. She could hear the faintest whispers and footsteps of people in the town and the sound of the howling wind in every direction. Her eyes could see the smallest and farthest objects in the forest and the town. She could feel the life of every living thing in the forest. Summoning her weapon, her palms glowed, the bow appeared on her left hand and the quiver containing the arrows was on her back.

She positioned her arrow in front of her when she saw a shadow overhead. Ashley and the men in black coats also stopped and looked above, when the shadow landed in front of Lei. She recognized the dark clothes and huge leather hat.

"Who are you?" Lei asked the man. She could not see his face but she knew it was the same man who stumbled upon her that morning.

"Step back", the man replied. What?

"I'm sorry. I don't know you and I definitely don't need your help." Lei walked in front of him. She was confident that her power was enough to fight them.

"You don't know them", the man spoke behind her. She looked at him and saw the same blue eyes, but his words irritated her.

"And you do?"

He did not answer instead; he removed the thick coat and leather hat. Despite his broad shoulder and height, he looked like a teen with chestnut-colored hair and blue-green eyes. He must have caught Ashley's attention because she gnawed at him.

He stepped towards Lei but his eyes were fixed to the opponents. The moment his foot touched the ground the wind changed direction and speed, and the leaves and plants bent with it. The birds flew away from the forest and the animals hid in their home. She knew he's not a bad person but the intensity of his power was unbelievably strong. Who is he? The opponents eyed him intensely, even Ashley drew her hammer.

"This is not your fight, Wright." Ashley stepped forward.

"It is my fight now, Levvi." Lei could only stare at him.

Without a second thought, Ashley and her team advanced towards them but the person called Wright drew his weapon. Lei saw his insignia shine behind his neck and a crystal blade appeared in front of him. She was not going to step back. She cannot let anyone save her without her doing anything. This was her fight.