CHAPTER XXII: TESSA

The trio was welcomed by the clanging of metals, humming of machines, and zooming of cars as they passed the 'welcome' sign of the city of Cornerstone, a city known for its luxurious and effective machinery, equipment, armours, and other metallic tools. Most of the country's battle gears and computers are bought in this city. Only those who are very skillful and smart can live and work in Cornerstone. The people who live in the city were too focused on work and gadgets that few enjoy nature. This is expected in a city that tops the production of metals for the whole country.

The first thing that caught Tessa's eyes was the 20 feet robot standing unmoving beside a skyscraper. Made of metal, the robot was dressed in a black business suit with clear silver eyes. It was holding a black suitcase printed with the name of the company - Emergence Group of Companies. A middle-age man walked out of the building as Skhy, Tessa, and Lei passed the building. He looked at Tessa then frowned. He narrowed his eyes before grinning, turned, and walked towards a car waiting in front of the building. This made Tessa uncomfortable. She also felt creeped out. What if he is a Mortemian? But if he is, why did he not attack them?

Her thought was interrupted by Skhy's voice.

"We're going to walk for a few blocks more," he informed them. Tessa stared at the large buildings standing close to each other. There were very few people walking in the streets. There were no restaurants, bakeries, or other small shops. They are probably inside these huge buildings. The city was nowhere similar to the busy streets full of flowers in Woodland, and exclusive mansions and parks in her town.

"Where are we going?" Lei asked. Tessa looked at her two companions walking in front of her. Skhy seemed calmer than when they were in the woods, while Lei was so tensed that she was gripping the hem of her shirt.

"To a friend," Skhy replied without looking at her. This response, however, did not calm her down. Tessa placed her hand on Lei shoulder to stop her from walking. Lei looked back at her and offered a nervous smile.

Skhy did not notice them so Tessa directed Lei to continue walking beside her. Tessa was debating whether to ask or not.

"What's wrong?" she asked anyway. It took a while before Lei responded.

"This place...is too far from the woods. I'm not confident if I can...use my powers here," she whispered.

"I understand. I also can't control my powers because of lack of training," Tessa responded.

"I'm not sure if I can use it anytime and anywhere. You are not alone," she continued and offered a small smile.

Lei returned the smile and nodded.

"What's wrong?" Skhy asked. He must have noticed how far behind the girls were from him.

"Nothing!" Lei immediately responded and jogged towards him. She did not want him to know? It was not Tessa's business so she did not react. Skhy, however, seemed worried. He was frowning at her, at Tessa.

"Are you sure?" he asked as Tessa walked towards Skhy and Lei. Lei remained silent. It's not me though...

"Yes. Let's go," Tessa responded. Skhy smiled.

"Alright. One block left," he informed and they started walking. Tessa walked behind the two.

"Have you been here before?" Lei asked him.

"Yes, many times. I visited my friend often," he replied.

"Can you trust this person?" Tessa blurted. She couldn't stop herself. Lei looked startled but Skhy just chucked.