Unstoppable

Meng Yao cocks his head. Holding the old clan leader's gaze, he challenges, "Clan leader Ming, are doubting my words?"

Getting intimidated, the older man shakes his head and bows respectfully, "Of course not Chief Cultivator."

Meng Yao smiles once again, "You don't have to worry about that villain. Once I... I mean, once we get hold of the weapon, he will be no match for us."

Comforted by Meng Yao's false promises, the clan leader returns to his earlier position, and silence falls over the group.

Just as expected, almost an hour after sunrise, the group finds themselves at the mouth of the cave.

XiChen, as well as most of the others, slow down and clutch their chest, while Jiang Cheng looks around, "Why are we stopping now? Let's do what we came here for." He bites out impatiently.

"Clan leader," The Ming clan leader calls Jiang Cheng, and questions, "Are you not feeling suffocated?"

Jiang Cheng finally looks at the rest of the group, "No, I am feeling fine." He informs, feeling bewildered. "Is everyone feeling this way?" He questions.

The older Lan clan members come forward, and speak simultaneously, "It's very puzzling, but we seem to be unaffected too."

Perceiving that the conversation was turning out to be more than he had was prepared to handle, Meng Yao interrupts, "Gentlemen, need I remind you that time is of the essence here. More time we waste in discussing this matter, the more time Wei Ying has to make our children miserable."

Hearing these words, the men stop the conversation, but not because they agree with the chief cultivator. Many clan leaders were already spotting loopholes in Meng Yao's theory. After all, they all had slept on the problem at hand, and with the help of a certain perpetually irritated clan leader, they had concluded that Meng Yao was certainly hiding something.

The clan leaders and their soldiers hesitantly nod and gesture Meng Yao to continue.

"I need the Lan clan to play the calming music at my cue." Meng Yao orders, looking at the men dressed in white and blue. Then he turns to the others, "If the calming music doesn't work, I need you to form a barrier around us as we enter the cave."

"And who all exactly do you mean by we, Clan leader Jin?" Jiang Cheng questions.

Meng Yao purses his lips, and with a forced smile, answers, "I will take a few of my most capable men." The malicious man pauses and looks at XiChen with soft eyes, "Er ge needs to stay outside in case Wei Wuxian and Hanguang Jun make an appearance. And I can't leave him defenseless, so I would like you to stay with him. After all, Wei Wuxian too would think twice about hurting his Junior brother." Meng Yao reasons.

Jiang Cheng laughs humorlessly and bites out, "Chief cultivator, you have got to be kidding me! I am the one who killed him in his previous life. If there is anyone he hates more than you, it's me!"

Meng Yao finds himself at a loss for words and uncharacteristically barks, "Just cooperate, Clan leader Jiang. I have other, more important things to worry about that Wei Ying!"

Jiang Cheng's eyes widen, and silence falls over the group.

Finally, XiChen questions, "A Yao, isn't it because we want to protect our children from Wei Ying that we are here with you?" The older Lan's words are laced with doubt.

Meng Yao reigns in his temper and calms down, "My apologies Er ge, I am under a lot of stress, and spoke without thinking. I don't mean those words." He looks at the group, most of whom are looking at him suspiciously, "Now, let us proceed with the plan." He takes a deep breath before continuing, "I will need some Lan members to accompany me inside too."