Six

Two days before Christmas Eve, Vidalia found herself bundling up to prepare for her departure down to the train station at Hogsmeade. Spur was tucked snugly into Vidalia's coat pocket, watching carefully as she pulled on her mittens. After hoisting her trunk off the bed, she left the girls' dorm, dragging her belongings after her.

In the common room, James and Sirius were sitting by the fire, waiting to say goodbye to their friends. James hugged Vidalia and Remus close. Remus, the taller one, was able to push James away easily, but Vidalia struggled.

"Mate, it's not like we're never coming back," Remus said, helping the small girl out of James' grip.

"I know, but I'll still miss you guys."

Vidalia gave James a smile. "Look forward to presents," she promised.

She gave Sirius a hug goodbye and then she, Remus, and Peter made their way out of Gryffindor Tower and down toward the main hall. This area of the castle was cold, thanks to all the students rushing in and out the front doors.

Sir Nicholas— who was the ghost of Gryffindor Tower— was floating in the entrance hall, waving to students drearily, as though he'd much rather be somewhere else.

"Hello, Sir Nicholas," Remus greeted the ghost.

Nick waved in return. "Hello, young Gryffindor. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas." Nick said this like he meant it, but his voice carried on like the howling wind on a stormy night, sending shivers up the three kids' backs.

"Enjoy your Christmas as well," Remus said politely.

"Oh I shall," he said. "Although I do expect it to be dreadfully dull." The kids stood awkwardly as Nick ho-hummed. "Ah, but I'm sure you Gryffindors have a train to catch."

"Yessir," Vidalia said quickly. "Goodbye, Sir Nicholas!" She tugged the two boys out the door and they made their trek down to Hogsmeade. They boarded the train and then found an empty compartment. After stowing her trunk away, Vidalia sat back on the bench.

Spur poked his head out of Vidalia's pocket, happy to be somewhere warm again. He climbed out of his safe spot and made his way up into his favorite place atop Vidalia's nest of curls.

Vidalia listened as Remus and Peter chatted. Soon enough, the train finally pulled away from the station and they were on their way back to London.

*

"Don't believe everything you see," a voice whispered in her ear. It was low and cold and made Vidalia shiver. Where she was, she didn't know. A hand grabbed her wrist and turned her around. Alas, there was no one there.

Vidalia could feel the moon and it's strong connection to her, but she couldn't see it.

"Not all monsters are bad and not all humans are good. You must keep your friends close to you."

"What are you talking about?" Vidalia yelled, her voice echoing, as if she were in a dark cave.

"You're the only one. You must control your Eye before it controls you. Only Hadrick knows."

"Who is Hadrick?"

"Hadrick," the voice repeated.

Vidalia suddenly felt like she was falling, but she couldn't scream.

She jolted awake, her body now shivering, but not because she was cold.

"You okay?" Remus asked. Peter was asleep next to him, but he didn't seem like he was going to wake up any time soon.