Chapter One

Peter wasn't even out as Spiderman when it happened.

Lately, Peter has been patrolling more often than usual, trying to make up for the lost time from when he was dealing with Mysterio and his identity reveal. Even after all of these months, he still wasn't used to people knowing his name and face, and the amount of tourists that stopped him for photos and autographs were often overwhelming.

Patrolling was a little difficult with the cold weather and winter conditions, but Peter was able to manage. A heater had been installed to the inside of the suit, which makes the cold barely recognizable. Despite this, May still worried about Peter whenever he went out as Spiderman, especially while it was snowing. If only for her peace of mind, he stayed at the apartment tonight.

He had been in the kitchen, making a cup of hot chocolate with extra marshmallows. He took a sip much too early and burnt the tip of his tongue. May looked over from the couch after he physically winced and put the mug down.

"I remember specifically telling you to wait before trying the hot chocolate" she said it in a patronizing tone but the smile on her face gave away her affection.

Peter opened his mouth to offer a snarky response before May received a text from her phone. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. She quickly switched the channel and suddenly he hearing his name on the news. This is not uncommon anymore, and usually he tried to ignore the press as much as he possibly could. This time however, his sixth sense immediately went off and he knew there was something wrong.

The television was on the local news station, and showed a man in a nice suit being held at gunpoint by a ski masked figure. The shooter signaled the camera man to continue recording, and dread immediately filled Peter's veins. The shooter was in the middle of speaking, and while Peter missed the first part of the speech, he had all of the information he needed to hear. It was clear that the message was directed to him.

"-you have twenty minutes to get here or I'll shoot this man in the head."

He was already rushing to put on his suit when May called his name last minute. Peter hesitantly turned back to her, expecting her to ask him to stay in the apartment.

May's eyes were filled with concern but she nodded anyway, silently granting her permission. "Be careful out there."

Peter nodded back, and those were the only words that were exchange between the two of them. He learned a long time ago not to make any promises when it came to Spiderman.

The news reporter and shooter had been standing in the middle of Times Square, which was about a half hour away from Queens on a good day. Peter was quick to grab his mask before leaving from the window.

He had somehow managed to get there with five minutes to spare, but he decided to stay hidden and fully digest the situation before making his entrance. The news reporter, to his credit, showed no sign of fear as a gun was being roughly pressed against his temple. The man seemed simply annoyed with the situation, rolling his eyes as the villain continued to monologue to the camera.

Police were surrounding the crime scene, all with guns directed towards the criminal. Peter was certain that they wouldn't risk actually shooting with an innocent man in the line of fire, especially on live television.

Most people had dispersed from Times Square, valuing their own lives, but there were still a handful of bystanders watching from afar, some even with their phones out, recording the event.

Peter couldn't think of any way to efficiently approach the situationn, so he decided to simply wing it.

He shot a web and swung himself so his feet landed a couple feet away from the shooter. The news reporter did a double take when he saw Spiderman, looking shocked that he showed up at all. Peter found that to be a little offensive.