Leo's Second Secret

Leo had stayed in the building on the docks for close to two hours before leaving. He knew he had to go back home or he would be in trouble.

He said goodbye to his second family (not replacing his first) and exited the building, closing the door softly behind him.

Leo walked over to the water and jumped in. He relished in the cool feeling of the water icing his bruises. His ocean blue eyes closed with a water-bubbled sigh. He rested there for a few seconds before opening his eyes and scrubbing at his arms.

Green paint seemed to flake and ooze off his arms, revealing ink-stained arms underneath.

These ink-stained arms were covered in tattoos. There were a total of four.

The first tattoo was on his left bicep. It showed a feather breaking into several birds flying away. It symbolizes freedom and the need to break free from the chains holding him down.

The second tattoo was on his inner left forearm. It presented a semicolon breaking into several doves. This symbolizes the depression Leo feels and how hard he is trying to get through it.

The third tattoo was on his right bicep. It shows a broken and bleeding heart with the words 'Love All Hate None' on the side of the heart. It symbolizes the internal pain and sadness of never being able to be with his love.

The fourth and final tattoo was on his inner right forearm. It was a simple tattoo of a lotus flower. Leo got this tattoo to symbolize purity, self-regeneration, and rebirth. To symbolize his healing and his want to live a life of peace.

Leo stared in contemplation at his tattoos. He remembers how he got them, and he would never change that. He has not seen his tattoo artist in a few weeks, but he misses her all the same.

*Flashback to when Leo was thirteen (he's sixteen rn)*

Leo was running along the rooftops, tears streaming down his face and bruises littering his body. He was a sickly green from fear and sadness.

He ran until he could no longer stand on his legs. He skidded to a stop on the rooftop of an apartment building and dropped to his knees.

He let out the most pain-filled scream he could. He screamed himself hoarse and then sobbed in pain.

He could not do it.

He could not continue to live like this.

But he could not just leave his brothers alone with that monster.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

Leo froze and quieted his cries. He hid behind an air vent and peeked around the edge. He noticed a lone girl scanning the rooftop in curiosity and concern.

"Are you okay?" the girl spoke. She seemed to be around seventeen.

"..." Leo went to speak, but his voice caught in his throat. He wished to speak, to tell the (nice?) lady that he was fine.

But he was scared.

"It's okay. I won't hurt you. You can come out," the lady consoled. Her eyes seemed to glue themselves to the air vent in which Leo was hiding behind. Leo spun and hid further in the shadows.

"Promise?" Leo whispered hoarsely, afraid for his life.

"Yes, I promise," the nice lady spoke kindly. She seemed sincere.

"Do you promise not to scream?" Leo sobbed out, tears starting to stream from his eyes again.

"I won't scream. It's alright. I can help you," the lady promised with a smile.

Leo stood hesitantly with a wince, took a deep breath, and stepped out into the moonlight. He saw the lady's eyes widen in shock, but oddly enough...

There was no fear or disgust in her eyes.

And he was comforted by that.

He watched as her eyes seemed to sadden and fill with worry when she noticed the state he was in, the bruises, and the tears. She calmly walked over to him and gently took his hand, minding the flinch that wracked his body.

"Come with me. I can help you with bringing down the swelling," the nice lady said with a kind smile.

"W-... What's your name?" Leo whispered, following the lady into her apartment.

"Katie. Katie Spencer. What about you?" Katie said curiously, closing the living room window behind them after they entered.

"Leonardo... You can call me Leo," Leo confided, relaxing his tense shoulders in the calm, comforting aura of the girl's home.

*Flashback end*

After that, Katie had patched him up and they had talked for a little longer after. Leo had to head home though, so they bid their goodbyes.

Leo still tries to visit her as much as he can, but sometimes he cannot.

Leo had seen some of the tattoos on her arms and became curious as to what they were and how she got them. She had a rose on her arm and a semicolon on her wrist.

Katie told him she did them herself. They were tattoos showing she was a survivor of depression and was now living a good life.

Leo was hesitant at first, but when she told him about her life, he told her about his.

Katie was extremely angry at who hurt him and saddened by his pain. She tried to help with his emotional pain as much as she could.

When he expressed his curiosity about the tattoos, she offered to give him a few. She told him it would hurt for a little while.

He told her he was used to pain.

She had given him the tattoos on his arms that he has to this day.

Leo smiled down at his tattoos for a little longer before climbing out of the water and back onto the docks. He shook the water off as best he could and walked over to his green paint stash. He covered his arms to hide his tattoos and made his way home.

This... is Leo's second secret.