The Day he Left

It's happening...my boyfriend Liam is lashing words at me once again. Lowering my self esteem with each name he calls me.

"Why do you dress like a slob all the time? Why can't you be more like Sarah?"

Sarah...the name of a girl he's been hanging out with more and more frequently each day. He talks about her as if she's some goddess from the heavens. I always anguish over how to reply to him every time her name comes up. 

This fight probably happens every other week. When Liam isn't yelling, he's simply distant towards me. Hardly looks my direction and hardly speaks to me at all. It's like it's a pain to even be around me.

We moved in together two summers ago into a cabin in the middle of the woods. Far from the city life we used to have. We thought it would be a breath of fresh air and a way to benefit our relationship. Sadly, that's done the complete opposite. 

It's like Liam is always paranoid about something. Looking out into the wilderness from the indoors like a child hiding from the boogy man or something. It confuses me but I don't bother to ask because if I do, he will lash out on me again. 

One day, I went into Liam's office where he does work. He's a journalist and is always stressed about writing articles and newsletters. That's probably the reason he's always angry. I walk over to his desk and it was more...cluttered. More disorderly. That's strange...Liam was never the type to leave a mess at his desk, in fact, he was kind of a neat freak.

I look closer at the papers scattered about the room and I noticed there was something they all had in common...they all included some theory or information about something that goes by the name "Siren Head".

Siren Head? This sounded like a name of some creature from a dumb horror story you'd tell by a campfire. It was so...random. Why was Liam writing about this? Why were there so many documents about this? If there were so many people writing about Siren Head, why hadn't I heard of it?

Suddenly, I heard footsteps. The door burst open and it was Liam. He looked angry...what happend? He suddenly started screaming at me again but this time, it wasn't like the yelling I was used to. He sounded more than angry, he was furious.

"WHY WOULD YOU GO THROUGH MY STUFF?!" 

Huh? I was shaking with fear. I've always gone in here and he never seemed to mind. It was like I saw something I wasn't supposed to see. He shoved me out of the way and gathered the scattered files in a hurry. 

"I can't do this anymore. It's over" 

It's over? He sounded so serious...he can't be. He can't be serious right? 

Once the papers were put into a case, he took them and left. He never took his clothes, or food, or...anything at all. Just those files.

I wanted to run after him but it was just no use. I would've been pushed into the dirt again. I saw him take out his phone and dial a number...and after a few minutes someone came up our driveway. It was Sarah. He got in and just...left.

...

..."It's over".

That was the last thing I ever heard from Liam ever again.