Chapter 3

I finished tucking my long, dark brown hair under my cloak's hook, using it to keep the sun off my skin before heading outside.  I don't tan.  I burn.  It's weird how, unlike my siblings, I burn under the heat of the sun, but it's just how it is sadly.  I pulled my mask up over my nose again and slipped on my shoes.  I picked up my bag and waited patiently for my siblings.  Evie began walking to me with her own bag and then a slightly less organized Jonathan followed behind.
"Ready to go, guys?"  I ask them, putting down my bag for a second and adjusting my gloves and made sure I had a dagger in my boot and on my belt.  I was wearing a black and navy, long-sleeved dress that also reached just above my ankles.

Jonathan had a hat and a suit on and Evie had a white, button-up blouse and a grey, ankle-length skirt.  Evie also had a hat, but it looked fancier and nicer than Jonathan's did.  Her hair was in a bun.  She also had her earrings on.  I never got my ears pierced; wasn't a fan.

"Just a moment, actually."  Evie told us, holding up a finger on her right hand and putting her bag down.  Running off somewhere in our place.  Jonathan put his bag down and shrugged when I looked at him questioningly.  When Evie came back from wherever in oblivion she was, she had a smaller cloth bag slung over her shoulder.  "Okay, ready."  She nodded with a smile, picking her bag back up.  I shrugged with a nod and smile of my own and led the way out of the house.  Jonathan locked the door behind us and we all headed to Giza Port.  There we waited on the docks beside our boat ride, which other passengers were boarding.  There were camels, horses, many rooms, a dining room and so on and so forth.  It was brilliant and it would only take a couple days and nights before we reached the next port.

Whilst waiting for Mr. O-Connell, Evie spoke up first as I continued to excitedly daydream about the relaxing holiday we were going on.  I mean, what could happen during a cruise and during a dig?  Not much out of the ordinary, I can tell you that.
"Do you really think he's going to show up?"

"Yes.  Undoubtedly sure."  Jonathan told us.  "Knowing my luck..."  He mumbled that bit.
"He may be a cowboy, but I know his breed.  His word is his word."  I noticed a man with a couple bags walking up to us with brushed, brown hair on his head and a white shirt tucked into his pants and a suit jacket over that.  He had a belt that looked like it holstered something, but I couldn't tell what from the crowd he was in.  He was also quite far away still.  He stood out, because he had his eyes on us and was determinedly walking to us.  I turned back to the others when Evie began to talk with her arms crossed again.

"Well, personally I think he's filthy, rude, a complete scoundrel."  Every description, this unnamed man came closer.  I then realize once he was right behind Evie, just who he might be.  Rick O-Connell.
"I don't like him one bit."  She finished annoyed.

"Anyone I know?"  Mr. O-Connell asked cheerfully.  Spinning around and stepping back with surprise, Evie's jaw dropped.

"O-Oh..u-uhm..hello."  Evie stammered.  He cleaned up nicely after prison.

"Smashing day to start an adventure, 'ey, O-Connell?"  Jonathan interrupted, saving Evie's skin.  He patted O-Connell on his back in a 'old-friendly chaps' manner with his British accent showing through.

"Yeah, yeah, smashing."  O-Connell momentarily grinned back before swinging his hand to check that he still had his wallet, his face turning to a frown.

"Oh, no-no!  I'd never steal from a partner, partner."  Jonathan reassured with a wave of his hands.

"That reminds me...uh, no hard feelings about the--"  O-Connell made a punching gesture to Jonathan and seemed apologetic.

"Oh, no-no, happens all the time."  He nodded understandingly.  I choked and pulled down my mask to get some proper air, laughing at my brother's answer.  Not because it was true and terrible, but because it was true and hilarious.  The amount of bruises and cuts I had to clean up for Jonathan is uncountable, I'll tell you that much.  O-Connell seemed to smile at my reaction, Evie huffed and Jonathan smiled reminiscently.