Chapter 5

"So Evie, what're going to be looking for, again?"  I questioned dumbly, pulling down my mask and flipping off my veil.

"Well, we're looking for a secret compartment which should contain the Book of Amun-Ra."  She explained giddily.  She looked like a little girl all over again.

"The Book of Amun-Ra..."  I repeated thoughtfully.  I watched Evie wipe off and adjust a mirror.

"Let there be light~"  She grinned cheekily, letting the light hit the mirror and then ricochet to all the other hidden mirrors--instantly lighting up the room.

"Neat Ancient Egyptian trick."  Rick complimented while the Warden slid down the rope to join us.  Evie blushed at his compliment, but Rick was admiring the room so he didn't notice.  He then turned back around and shoved something into my hands, then pushed me towards Evie.  Then he began to explore the room we were in.  I raised an eyebrow and Evie did too.  I looked at what was in my hands to see I'd been given an archaeological toolkit.  I instantly handed it to Evie.

"I think Shy Rick was wanting to give this to you."  I snickered.  I tried to not notice Rick's glare piercing my back.  I just turned and smirked at the flustered and pissed man.  The Warden suddenly appeared behind me.

"A-ARE THERE ANY BUGS!?"  He clung to me, his arms around my body.  I tried my very best to not flip him over my shoulder and onto his back in the hopes of somehow breaking his collar bone.

"No, there are no bugs."  I reassured the coward.

"O-Oh..thank God."  He slowly detached himself from clinging around me and began to explore with us.  I'm certain the Warden smells of dead flesh.  I gagged.

"Yeah there are no bugs...yet..."  I evilly smirked with high hopes that he'll piss himself later.  Jonathan soon joined us and gagged.

"What is that stench?  It smells worse than dead corpses!"  He clutched his mouth and stomach with a gag.  I nudged his shoulder and pointed at the warden who was distracted, looking for bugs.  Realization filled his eyes.  "Oh...that'd explain it..."  He slowly nodded in understanding.

"So this...is what they'd call a sah-netjer..."  Evie looked around at the dark and depressing room.  I had an uneasy feeling about this room, and could've sworn I'd seen, or heard about it, somewhere before.  But that's impossible.  It was just a weird deja-vu feeling, but I still felt uncomfortable to say the least.

"A...what?"  Rick questioned with disgust.

"A preparation room."  She explained without looking at anyone.  She just looked all around the room with dread, fascination and curiosity filling her eyes.

"A preparation room for what?  Exactly?"  Rick asked again, very skeptically.

"For entering the afterlife.  This is where they made the mummies."  I explained, patting his shoulder as his hand moved off his pistol.  "This must be at least three thousand years old..."  I muttered out, loudly enough for them to hear me.  Evie nodded.

"Incredible!"  She grinned.  Just as I walked under the legs of Anubis, stepping over rocks that had cluttered the floor, I heard a whisper in my ear--almost like a memory flashing back, but not quite.  It had said in a deep, masculine voice: 'I will protect my you, my soulmate, no matter what--'  and then it cut off.  I blinked.  That sure was...interesting to say the least.  At least I now know that I knew my soulmate in my past or something...  "The legs of Anubis...the secret compartment should be hidden somewhere here."

I froze at the sound of voices coming near.  Rick and Jonathan pulled out their guns, and quickly rounded the corner, coming gun-to-gun with the Americans and diggers.  I rolled my eyes and pulled down my brother's gun as Evie pulled back Rick's gun.  "Good God, you scared the bejesus out of us, O'Connell!"  one American man cried, lowering his (and his men's) weapons.