Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Since the moment Natsu had left to go talk to Gray, Igneel and Atlas had done nothing but read through old magic scrolls, trying to find anything that might help them figure out a way to transform Gray into an ice dragon permanently. Assuming Igneel's theory of the boy possessing a dragon soul was correct.

The scrolls represented the collective magical knowledge accrued by the red dragons since time immemorial. Some of them were so old that only the barest of magic held them together. Every generation had added their own scrolls, and it had always fascinated Atlas to trace the magic back to the dragon that had created it.

Over the years, he and Igneel had added their own discoveries to the collection, and Atlas had held the hope that given his immense magical talent, Natsu would someday do the same. Still, he knew that even if that happened, he would probably be the last red dragon to do so.

As hard as it was to accept, the fact remained that they were nearing the end of their existence. The red dragons had been the vanguard of the front lines, and they had suffered great losses to their numbers during the war. There were less than a dozen left. Natsu would more than likely never father offspring, and their line of Royals would end with him.

Atlas looked up from the massive pile of scrolls he'd been studying, finally realizing it had been quite a while since Natsu had left.

"Aren't you concerned Natsu isn't back yet?" he asked Igneel, who was immersed in his own mountain of scrolls.

"Not really," Igneel replied absently, "he and Gray had a lot to talk about. I think we both know if Acnologia had found them, he would've already come for us."

Atlas grunted in agreement. He stared at the scrolls once again in frustration.

"Is your research not going well?" Igneel peered at him.

"Not really, transformation magic is useless for all the reasons we've already discussed. Soul magic looks more promising, but once again, there's the energy problem, and I can't find a way to generate the amount of energy needed."

"I thought I told you not to worry about that." Igneel reminded him, "I'll come up with a way to get you the energy you need."

"Yes, but you haven't told me how you plan on doing that," Atlas complained.

"I have a few ideas," Igneel replied vaguely, "Have you figured out how to get a look at his soul?"

"Sure, that part's easy, we just have to get him to astral project."

"I don't think that's a skill humans are born with," Igneel pointed out, "You're going to have to teach him how to do so."

"Me?" Atlas balked at the idea, "How am I supposed to teach him that? Can't we just cast a spell on him or something?"

"Do you think he would trust anything that came from a spell he didn't cast?" Igneel replied, "Would you?"

"No," Atlas admitted grudgingly.

"Besides it would be good for the two of you to bury the hatchet. What did you do anyway?"

"Why do you automatically assume I was the one to do something?"

Igneel roared with laughter, "Are you saying you weren't?"

"Well no, but would it kill you to give me the benefit of the doubt?" Atlas groused.

"Atlas, I've known you for hundreds of years," Igneel smirked, "What did you do?"

"I wanted to show Natsu that the boy had grown and could handle seeing dragons, so I showed myself to him."