Chapter Eight

The next day, Loae sought out Roan. She and Isran wouldn't be meeting until dusk, so she had a full day to herself. She spent most of the morning in her room, working up the confidence to find her brother. He sat outside in the front courtyard. It looked like he was taking a break from sword-fighting practice. Loae walked up and sat in the grass next to him.

"You shouldn't be practicing," she said. "Your shoulder..."

"Ah, but you see I was practicing with the right hand," Roan said. "What better chance to improve my ambidextrous fighting than getting injured with my left?"

Loae rolled her eyes. He gave her an easy smile and held his hand over his face to block the sun out. "Feeling better this morning? Heard you almost got into it last night."

"Yeah..." Loae scratched the back of her neck. "I...well..." She groaned. "Look, you were right."

"Oh, hold on. I'm never right about anything, so I want to make sure I'm listening as closely as possible."

Loae rolled her eyes and Roan swiveled to face her head on. "Alright. Tell me everything," he said. "I'm right because..."

"Kanai isn't...I shouldn't judge him outright for what he is," Loae said.

"Uh huh." Roan nodded. "Are the two of you best friends now?"

"Absolutely not," Loae said. She plucked out her dagger at picked at her fingernails with the sharp end. "Every time I see him, I want to throw him to the ground, but...he's trying to be helpful and I've been an asshole." She looked up at him. "So...thank you. For pointing it out to me. And not...and not..."

"Loae, this is a house brimming with masculinity and fragile egos," he said. "You think no one's ever broken some plates before? Last week, someone threw a guy through a window for just looking at him funny. I know you've got a lot of rage. So, how do you deal with it?"

"Are you asking me or are you going to tell me?"

"No, I'm asking," he laughed. "What makes you feel better?"

"Fighting," Loae said.

"Gods, where did my darling little sister go?" He asked with a faux sigh. "Fighting...that doesn't seem like a very healthy way of processing your anger."

"We weren't really trained in positive coping methods," Loae said.

"Isn't that right?" Roan chuckled. "But you find something that isn't particularly violent. Kojo bakes. Askan goes on long, moonlit walks. Jessa...well, I'm not really sure what our mother does." He dipped his face towards Loae. "What makes you feel better? That isn't all about thrashing around and cutting someone up?"

Loae stared at the sky, not caring for a moment if the sun burnt her eyes out. "Music, I suppose."

"Hey! That's something," Roan said, knocking her shoulder. "Music, eh? I'll tell you what, I'll buy you a fresh fiddle and the next time you're feeling low, you can play us all some music, hmm?"

Loae smiled at him. "I suppose I could try it."

"Good. Glad we settled that. I am such a good brother."

"I'm still itching for a fight, though," Loae admitted.

"Well, if fighting makes you feel better, let's find you someone to fight."

Loae cracked a smile. "Do you want to spar?"

"Not with you holding that dagger like that," Roan said.

"Fine." Loae slid her dagger in its sheath at her waist and held up both hands. "Happy now?"

Roan bit his lip. "No...not quite..."