Cyborgs

"We've been captured by cyborgs, stand by." Steve said to Adam, through his smartblock.

"You haven't been captured, all we require is a small favor from you all. " the cyborgs said.

"What?" Jack asked.

"All you need to do is contribute to our Human Philosophical Data Collection Machine, the HPDCM, which is the apparatus you can see beside you."

"Can like only one of you speak, please? The echo is rather disturbing." Tony said. The cyborgs considered, then the one directly in front of them stepped forward.

"All you need to do is wear the headset and look into it for the data to be collected, then you are free to leave." he said. Or rather, it said. They hadn't forgotten the cyborg's metal faces underneath, even though they had wore their masks once again.

"Umm...What do you need the data for?" Tony asked.

"Its highly important. We believe it will trigger the next stage of evolution." the cyborg said. It perfectly replicated human voice and expressions, and the team had difficulty believing they had just saw their metal faces a few minutes ago.

"You see, once humanity evolved to its maximum intellect 1758 years ago, it started pursuing technological innovation. However there were no fundamental changes in human abilities, in terms of their mental capabilities." The robot paused for breath. 

"There was also a new phenomena that emerged soon thereafter, which was the quest for meaning of life. Despite intense debate, exploration and progress in various directions, we aren't closer to a satisfactory answer than we were 1758 years before. It was then that our founder, the inventor of Sky-Ape, Tally Door, realized that the problem wasn't in our methodologies, but in our mental abilities itself."

Jack, Tony and Steve listened to him in a combination of curiosity, surprise and shock.

"Hence she initiated the cyborg program, the next stage of human evolution. With our near infinite memory, access to knowledge and organized thoughts, we were able to build the HPDCM to find the purpose of life. But, there was a problem." he paused for dramatic suspense.

"Our personal data reservoirs, despite being huge, were not enough. Logic alone wasn't able to determine the meaning of life, it was only one half of the key. Hence, we search for humans to acquire more data about emotions and motivations of your species, to complete the puzzle, so to speak." the cyborg smiled.

"Well, we'll be glad to help you." Steve said. What? Jack thought to himself.

"What?" Tony said out loud.

"Its just some data collection program, I'm sure it won't be harmful, right?." Steve said.

"Absolutely. Its harmless, perfectly safe." the cyborg acquiesced. 

"You just need to stand inside the machine, and wear the VR headset. And carry this sword, it is a peculiarity of the machine, due to the last subject's propensity towards swordsmanship." saying so, the cyborg's hand extended into a sword, which he dislodged and handed over to Steve.

"My metal density is lower now, but its no big deal really." he said, rubbing his hand as little mechanical parts worked to reformulate his skin.

"We can get out of here after this. Trust me, it'll be alright." Steve said to both of his proteges, though his disconcerted look suggested his words were directed more towards himself as well.

Steve stood inside the machine. It was shaped like a gigantic human eye, the pupil being an empty area where a person could stand. A VR headset hung in it, connected with wires to the entire apparatus. The entire machine hadn't been painted or colored in any form, and its metallic parts weren't polished, making it look incredibly unattractive and dull.

He put the VR headset on his hand.

For about 2 minutes, nothing happened.

Then Steve ripped off the VR headset. His eyes were bloodshot. He looked as if he had been through hell and back in a minute.

He looked down at the sword in his hand.

And stabbed himself through the chest.

"Steve!!" Tony and Jack screamed, running towards him.

"So, that didn't work." the evil cyborg sighed.  "Which one of you is going next?"