Chapter 3: Freundschaft

° Freundschaft °
-> friendship <-

After eating her ice cream and getting a new boost of energy, she took a long walk around the neighborhood despite the cold before returning to the agency. She still had some time left so she sat down on a sofa in the break room and decided to text her dad and siblings, who stayed in Germany when her mother and she moved to Seoul, a small update. They knew Yeseul had auditioned to become a trainee but she hadn't clued them in on the newest developments yet. She wrote a few paragraphs and set her phone down, knowing she wouldn't get a response anytime soon as it wasn't even 6am yet all the way in Europe.

She closed her eyes for a second and tried to relax. She was on edge. The sweet treat had helped for a little while but now that the classes were getting closer, so was her heart to getting a heart attack. Sure, she didn't have to join them today but she was still incredibly nervous because she hadn't met any of the other trainees yet. They were all busy practicing and perfecting their performances for the evaluation so she wasn't surprised she hadn't run into anyone yet. Yeseul sent a prayer to whatever God was willing to listen, hoping that she'd be able to get along with everyone, or at least a few of them. They would be training together almost every single day of the week and maybe in the future, she should be in a girl group with some of them. Considering those circumstances, the last thing she wanted was to make enemies. She wanted healthy competition, friends that pushed each other to their limits while supporting and lifting you up.

Yeseul was now nervously fiddling with her phone and decided to just go to the practice room where the vocal evaluation would be to see if she could enter already. When she got there, the door to the room was wide open and she could actually look inside this time. She hesitated. A few trainees were inside, standing around and talking but she wasn't sure if they were already done practicing or just taking a break. She didn't want to intrude.
All of a sudden, she felt a presence behind her.
"Ah, I remember you! You're Yeseul, right? I just heard that you got accepted!"
As she turned around, she found herself before a woman in her forties who she recognized to be one of the vocal teachers who had been present at her audition. She was surprised but honored that she even remembered her name.
"I'm Ms. Lee, by the way, and I am very excited to be working with you. You have a very interesting tone and I already have a few things planned for you." Ms. Lee gave her a playful wink and walked past her into the practice room. The teacher stood in front of the trainees and they immediately greeted her in unison. Then, she motioned for Yeseul to come in and told her to introduce herself.

"My name is Hwang Yeseul, I'm 19 years old and I just became a trainee today. I hope we can get along well and please take care of me." The other trainees, six girls, just like Mr. Kang had told her, gave her a variety of looks. Some of them curious, some friendly, some completely indifferent. At least no hateful glares. Yet. It could have been worse.

Yeseul was told to sit on a chair in the corner of the room and watch the evaluation.

She observed in astonishment as the girls showcased their vocal abilities in a ballad that they had picked together. She was impressed, they harmonized well and managed to implement each person's strengths perfectly. They must have been training for a while to know each other's voices so well. Ms. Lee, on the other hand, wasn't exactly happy with their performance. She began pointing out issues and practicing those parts with the trainees over and over again until they got it right. As they neared the end of the song and struggled with one particular high note, Ms. Lee suddenly turned to Yeseul.

"I know you're training technically starts on Monday, but I want you to sing that part for me."

The young woman sang the part a few times until the teacher was satisfied with her technique and even used her as an example to explain to the other trainees what they could do differently.
Yeseul felt a little uncomfortable. She did manage to impress her vocal teacher but at the same time, she saw one of the trainees giving her the stink eye. It was a tall girl who she assumed to be a little younger than her. She had a clear voice but not a very wide range. Her plans of not grabbing too much attention and laying low went out of the window.