Chapter 3

The rest to the drive was, thankfully, quiet. I didn't want to talk after that little breakdown I had. The silence was awkward, but I welcomed it gratefully.

I put my head phones on and drowned myself in the music. Leaning further back into my seat, I pointlessly stared outside.

It was early winter in Toronto, all the trees were bare, the grass striped of their natural greens and the sky littered the ground with small, soft specks of snow.

It was beautiful, but I missed home.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when the car came to a halt. Ren turned around in her seat and offered me a small smile which I responded to with my own sad excuse of a smile.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

I nodded and got out of the car. Seconds later Ren appeared by my side and took my hand in hers making me face her.

"I could never know what you are going through, but I want you to know that I will always be there for you. If you need something, anything..." She paused, then continued "please... don't hesitate to ask me."

By the time she was done talking we both had tears streaming down our faces, Ren pulled me into a hug and I let her.

She was trying to comfort me. To let me know that she was there for me. That I could lean on her if I wanted to.

I could see now why she and Mom were such good friends, they were both so similar. In ways some might not even notice.

They were both soft and gentle, headstrong, polite...and beautiful.

And Asher was just like them, but me...

I was more like Dad. I was more into the outdoors. I believed in adventures. I was outspoken and extroverted but I was an introvert too. I was into sports and athletics but I loved music and art.

I was different, but Dad made sure that I knew that it was ok to be different. He made sure all his children knew that it was ok to be themselves no matter what.

Though Ren's words were genuinely comforting, I had never leaned on anybody before and I couldn't change that now. I pulled away and gave her a small smile.

"Carson will get the luggage. Why don't we head inside?" She asked.

I nodded and followed her down the drive way which was unusually long. My boots dug into the snow that almost reached my ankles.

"These kids!! I told them to shovel the drive way!!" Ren mumbled in front of me.

I hugged my jacket closer to me, the cold winter of Toronto finally hitting me. I was used to cold, Alaska wasn't exactly a dessert paradise either but this cold was new to me.

To distracted to look where I was going I bumped head first into someone.

"Oof!"

I fell back on my back and into the snow which was cold!

"Oh shit! I'm so sorry." A green eyed boy stood over me, his dark brown hair sat in a curly mess on his head.

He offered me his hand which I gladly took, anything to get off this cold, cold snow.

Now back on my feet and slightly more aware of my surroundings I took in the boys appearance. He looked older then me, mabey 19. He had a remarkable resemblance to Ren and Carson. He was pretty good looking.

"Hi. I'm Payton. You must be Cameron!" He smiled. He had dimples!

"Hi. Nice to meet you Payton. Oh and please call me C.J."

"Very well...C.J. Are you ok?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, had Ren already told them about my family? I didn't want them to know. Not yet atleast.

He pointed at my nose and said "Your nose is very red."

"Oh.. yeah it's just the cold." Taking a breath of relief, I consciously touched my nose.

"But I thought you were from Alaska..??" He looked amused.

"I am, but my nose still gets red even though I'm used to the cold."

"Well it's very cute" He smiled

"Gee...thanks."

He laughed at my response. I had a feeling I was gonna get along with Payton Taylor just fine.