Chapter 7

A thousand thoughts raced through Emery's head as they took the slowest walk ever toward Mrs. Baker's home. The air between her and Seth seemed ridden with tension and awkwardness. 

"We're fine," Emery burst out, unable to stand the silence. "Right? This isn't a big fight. No biggie."

Seth sighed, throwing his head back to stare up at the sunny sky. "Em, for the third time . . . Yes. We're fine."

"Alright, I get it," she groaned. 

Christ, I'm turning into my mother

Her eyes kept darting around the wooden buildings, trying to find any topic of conversation but came up short. Frustrated, she crossed her arms over her chest and dragged her feet, causing dust and dirt to fly off the sidewalk. A small pebble served as a distraction. Emery kicked it with her sneaker and watched it roll forward every few steps. 

They were already near the house and still hadn't talked about a thing. "It's just . . ." she started up again. 

"Em." Seth stretched an arm in front of her, making her bump against it and stumble back.  

Surprised—and frankly annoyed—, she pushed his forearm away and glared up at him. "Alright! I'll stop," she exclaimed. Geez, she just wanted to make conversation. 

But, Seth wasn't looking at her. His gaze was set far away; his brow furrowed in distress. "No, look," he told her, lifting his arm to point down the street. 

About a dozen people stood in front of Mrs. Baker's front porch. Most of them were huddled together, looking expectantly as Sheriff Lila came down the steps and walked toward her cop car, parked across the street. Some tried to stop her, probably asking questions, but Lila only pushed up her sunglasses and walked faster. 

Emery immediately thought the worst. The image of Mrs. Baker on a gurney flashed through her imagination, and her heart sped up from the nerves. 

In a second, Emery disappeared from Seth's side, taking off in a quick sprint toward the house.  She ran with all her might, ignoring the burn in her legs and feet, but even running at full speed was not enough. By the time she was getting close, Sheriff Lila had already gotten in her car and pulled away from the house. 

"Crap," she gasped out, slowing down to a halt. The exertion was too much, she had to bend over, with hands upon her knees, to settle her heaving breath. After seconds, she finally settled and turned toward the house. Too focused on catching Lila on time, Emery hadn't realized the small audience had turned all their attention to her. 

With a bashful rubor spreading across her features, she weaved through the townsfolk, mumbling apologies along the way. In the middle of the crowd, a stout elderly man whispered, "See? That's her. I told Baker. Wrights are bad news."

"She should've listened," a tight-lipped woman replied, casting a haughty gaze over Emery. 

She ignored the whispers and ran up the steps, quickly rapping on the door. "Mrs. Baker? Mrs. Baker, open up! It's Emery," she called, her voice faltering from the fear that something horrible had happened. 

"Hold on," she heard Seth call from behind her. "I've got a key." The red-head rushed to her side, unlocking the door. Emery looked over her shoulder as the spectators cast curious glances inside. She pushed Seth through the doorway and closed it behind them, eager to be out of their sight.

"Mrs. Baker?" Seth yelled.

With her eyes firmly shut, she listened in fear there'd be no answer. 

"Oh, kids!" Her shrill, high tone had never been so welcoming. Emery opened her eyes and saw the woman exit her room down the hallway and rush toward them. A sense of relief rained over her, easing up her tense shoulders.