Chapter 29

"Why are we leaving now? It's not yet nightfall," Fosse asked as soon as Emery dragged him out of the library. He squinted under the sunlight, while his skin resumed its inhuman glimmer under its rays. It reminded Emery to pick up her pace. 

"I'm getting this over with now. Forget Theo's stupid rule. A few hours won't make that big of a difference to the gate. I'll return you, get my gate, and then I'm telling the House everything. Better to say I'm sorry than to ask for permission, right?"

Emery noticed an oncoming pickup truck, so she dragged Fosse behind the cover of two thick trees. 

They were still a few minutes away from the woods. If they hurried, and if they didn't have to continue hiding every ten seconds, they'd get there in five, tops. 

"Does that mean you've made a decision about Theo joining the House?" 

Emery clicked her tongue in annoyance. The truck moved out of sight and she dragged him by the hand once more. "No," she answered. "I've decided it's not my decision to make. Now, run."

For once, Fosse listened to her. He caught up to her quick pace easily. It was still early enough for the streets to be mostly empty. She was able to feel somewhat relieved when an expanse of forest came into view. She could go left from there and reach the path in lickety split. 

"But he wants you to make the decision, doesn't he?" Fosse asked, his tone so smooth she wondered if he was making an effort to keep up with her. 

On the other hand, she could barely speak without gasping for air. "I'm not"—she paused to take a few sharp breaths—"the right person"—another pause—"for that decision."

"I'm pretty sure he thinks you are."

"Shut the . . . Can't. Even. Curse. Just. Run."

And so they did. Only when they'd reach the thicket did Emery slow down her pace, but she kept jogging softly until they reached the familiar path and made their way to the clearing. She collapsed over the grass like a heap of living exhaustion. 

She didn't know if it was the stress of having to run and hide Fosse or if last night's power-sucking spell still made her feel weak, but that run had been the most uncomfortable of her life. Her breaths were dreadfully uneven, and her body felt so hot; she wished she could strip as unbashedly as Fosse. Wearing jeans certainly didn't make matters easier. The inner parts of her upper thigh stung from the chaffing. 

"You don't look so well, maybe some more rest is in order," Fosse suggested as he peered down at her, blocking the sunlight. Although she was thankful for the shade, she didn't wish to be under his scrutiny anymore. With a sound of discomfort, she lifted her hip and brought out the Song of Water. 

Ignoring the siren, she sat up and called, "Theo!"

"I'd at least like to say goodbye to the small fireborn," Fosse added. It made Emery feel a smidge guilty, but she was too determined to listen to him. She just wanted one less problem to deal with. 

"Theo!" she yelled again, feeling her breaths steady enough to stand up and walk around the clearing. 

"You did agree to meet at midnight. Maybe he's not here. We should head ba—" 

Emery scoffed. "He's always around. Even when I don't want him to be." She paced around the clearing once more before stopping in front of his usual entrance/exit. "It has to be super-freaking unlucky that the moment I do want him around, he just ups and disappears. But, then again, I'm a Wright. Super-freaking unlucky doesn't sound so . . . " her words faltered when she turned around to face Fosse, and instead saw the prince. " . . . crazy."