Chapter 5: First Mission

- (Y/N)'s POV -

Today is our first mission that was assigned to us by Lady Rhea! Is it bad that I am excited? I think it is cause we are legit killing people. But they are Bandits that have been terrorizing lives which makes it 100% fine to end them. Innocents don't deserve pain and suffering.

On the way to class I bumped into Professor Byleth.

Me: "Good morning Professor, I heard Edelgard has news for us about the mission. Lets hurry up a bit."

Professor Byleth nods and we both approach the Black Eagles class. Everyone seemed to be there already and turned to us when we entered. Edelgard walks towards us and began the mission explanation to us.

Edelgard: "Perfect timing. I just received word from the knights. They've located the bandits."

Hubert: "It seems they have them cornered. They are in Zanado, the Red Canyon."

Caspar: "I can't wait to get started! I'll strike down those heinous thieves before they know what hit them!"

Ferdinand: "Charge ahead if you must, Caspar. Just do not put the rest of us in danger."

Bernadetta: "I'm going back. I won't be of any of any help anyway, and I don't want to get hurt..."

Dorothea: "Don't worry, Bern. Its just some bandits. We'll have no trouble at all."

Lindhardt: "Ehhhhh, don't get ahead of yourselves. Unfounded optimism isn't a great strategy. Lets just get this over with."

Petra: "There is nothing to get over. We will work with each other to achieve our mission."

Byleth: "You guys seem excited to get out there."

Me: "Well I can't blame them. After all, helping the innocent by eliminating the bad always makes me happy. Lets get this over with."

Edelgard: "Its time, Professor. Give us our orders, and lets move out."

Professor Byleth nods and everyone starts heading out to the gates. I turn around and I touched my chest, and I realized I forgot to put my necklace on.

Me: "Hey guys! I gotta go back to my room real quick! I forgot something!"

Byleth: "Hurry! We won't be waiting for long."

I nod and run back to my room. I barge in and went to the wall where I hold my weapons. I see my necklace and quickly put it on. I can't believe I forgot my necklace and not my weapons...

My necklace is special to me. It was made by my family. My dad found the material and told me it was really rare. My sister designed it and it was what we called our family symbol since then. It's design was a Fox head. My sister told me its suppose to represent that the (L/N) family will always find a way out of any situation as a better person. My mom was the one that was able to make a mold exactly how my sister drew it. Then I'm the one who melted it down and poured it in. This is the only thing that can prove that I had a wonderful family.

As I walk down the stairs of the monastery lost in my thoughts, Edelgard appears from the corner.

Edelgard: "What did you forget (Y/N)?"

I lifted up my necklace to her face and she leans forward a little bit to examine my necklace.

Me: "Its silly but its my necklace. It means the world to me."

Edelgard: "It doesn't seem silly to me. If anything, I admire you for it. In the past many emperor's always had a special item or something that gives them determination to fight. I don't have any of the sort so..."

I place my right hand on her shoulder and she looks up at me.

Me: "Well, it doesn't need a special item right? It can be anything. So if you need someone to be there for you, you got me. Sure I am not anything special but I am always willing to help."

Edelgard went wide eyed, I guess she wasn't expecting some cliché talk. She then sighs.

Edelgard: "Thank you (Y/N). I appreciate you lending me a hand in my time of need."

Later during the battle...

I rush the enemy across the bridge and attacked them. They easily dodge my attack but I purposely set them in that exact spot.

Me: "NOW!"

Edelgard appears from behind and cuts down the enemy. She wipes her forehead and I kneel down. Both of us were exhausted. Professor Byleth wasn't kidding, he really was going to send us to take care of the stronger enemies.

Me: "You good Edelgard? We can take a small breather."

Edelgard: "No we can't sadly. Every second on the battlefield someone could die and we need to prevent that."

I nod and we get back up. I hear the Professor's voice in the distance, just barely though.

Byleth: "(Y/N)...! Edelgard...! ...boss... last...!"

I look to Edelgard and we both nod. We rush through the canyon and we see the bandit's leader handling a knight. He raises his arm up and quickly slashes down on the knight.

Me: "Damn!"

The leader looks at us approach him. He grins at us and brings his axe back up and onto his shoulder.

???: "My name is Kostas! But that doesn't matter cause you're a spoiled little noble! Just die like a good little rich kid!"

Me: "Actually-"

Edelgard: "Do you really think being born a commoner gives you the right to kill? Despicable."

Then Edelgard rushes Kostas! We didn't even plan anything!

Me: "WAIT!" Edelgard jumps and swings onto Kostas, missing. Kostas then grips his axe with both hands and starts to rush. He ducks down and swings up, meeting my blade just before it hits Edelgard. "That's my partner you were about to kill there!"

All three of us back up from each other. I look at Edelgard and she looks a little shaken. I go over and hold her hand to show that I am there for her. She looks at me wide eyed and smiled.

Me: "I got a plan. You attack him head on and I'll shoot from behind as soon as you clash. This should make him wince and you can hit him once he is distracted."

Edelgard: "Using me as bait I see."

Me: "Wait uh, not what I meant but-"

Edelgard: "I am only kidding. Its well thought out and we can easily pull it off together. Don't miss, though I'm sure you won't."

And then Edelgard and Kostas both rush each other. They clashed and I dash quickly behind Kostas to shoot my arrow. The arrow then curves into his back effectively. Kostas grunts in pain just long enough for Edelgard to break off and spin her axe into Kostas' gut. He has just moments before he dies so he falls on his knees in defeat.

Kostas: "I should have never listened to that idiot.... What a mistake..."

And with those last words, Kostas died. He laid on the ground and I looked at his corpse. He mentioned that he was following orders from someone when he mentioned idiot... There seems to be more than what is initially thought. I looked at Edelgard and it seems that she didn't pay no mind to what he just said which confused me. Edelgard usually is the one that points out something suspicious or somewhat valuable information. I guess I'm going to keep this to myself but I am going to pay more attention to this certain individual if they ever pop up again.

Moments later the Professor appears next to us. Edelgard puts her weapon away and thanks the Professor.

Edelgard: "Thank you for leading us, Professor. Though I suppose there was no way we could lose to a familiar foe."

I look at the two at the mention of familiar foe.

Me: "Familiar foe?"

Edelgard: "Ah I suppose you wouldn't know. The Professor was in the area when these bandits were chasing after Claude, Dimitri and I. She really saved us back there, especially me. In any case, something about this canyon feels... inexplicably strange."