08

08

SUSAN PROPPED HER HEAD UP on the palms of her hands, her elbows pushing into the library desk. Her eyes dropped and she nearly fell into the pile of books that lay open in front of her. She snapped awake at the sound of Cassius' voice.

"Susan! Dear lord, woman, wake up!" He exclaimed, waving his hand in front of her face. She looked at Cassius, and saw that his books were all stacked up, and he was shovelling them into his bag. "Let's get something to eat, I'm starved. Then you can go to bed."

Susan nodded her head silently. She was glad that she wasn't scheduled for patrol that night. She definitely would have fallen asleep on the post. Susan pack up her books and put her bag over her shoulder. Some food sounded nice, her stomach rumbled as she stood up, and the two took off for the kitchens, Cassius propping Susan up on his shoulder.

"I want something sweet, like pudding," Susan mumbled. "I haven't had any In such a long time."

"When's the last time you ate it?" Cassius Asked, trying to keep Susan awake.

"Probably the last time I ate a proper meal, maybe yesterday? Was there pudding at the feast yesterday?"

Cassius' grin faded and he stopped and held Susan by her shoulders in front of him, a look of alarm on his face.

"What?" Susan Asked, a bit giddy from looking into his eyes for too long.

"There hasn't been pudding at the feast in three days. What have you been eating?"

"I just grab small snacks while I'm on the go. I don't have time to eat at meals, I'm usually in my dorm."

"Well no wonder you're so bloody tired! You need food, Susan, you need nutrients! You've got to eat!"

"I know, I just haven't been sleeping well at night, I've been trying to sleep during free period or at meals..."

They were close to the kitchens, so Cassius pulled Susan to the portrait of the bowl of fruit and tickled the pear. They winced at how loud the pear giggled, but there were no sound of other people, so they entered the passage that had formed. Cassius sat Susan down on an empty barrel and called for a passing house elf.

"Can you please get her some food. A lot of it, please, sandwiches, snacks, and some pudding. Lots of pudding." The house elf bowed and scurried off.

Cassius turned to Susan. "Why haven't you been sleeping?" He asked.

"Bad dreams," Susan replied. "My aunt- she was murdered by death eaters last summer. I keep seeing her dead body when I fall asleep."