Chapter Seven

Thursday

"It's just a threat, right? That doesn't mean he'd go through with it," Forest suggested.

"We don't know that and there's no way we can be certain of it," said Marion.

Forest sighed. "There is one way. And before you freak out or anything, I want y'all to know that I know Marceline can set things on fire with her mind. I can read minds."

"You too?" Marion asked.

"You can read minds too?" Forest frowned.

"No, he means you're a freak too," said Marceline. "How did you know about my pyrokinesis?"

"The fuck is pyrokinesis?" Forest asked.

Marceline asked. "What I can do. That's the word for it."

"Troye told me. Told me he saw you do it," Forest stated.

"Yeah, that's not the matter at hand right now." Marion stepped in. "We have a potential rapist on the loose, alright? Forest, if you can read minds, can you find out if Esau is that dangerous or not?"

Forest sighed and sat down by the kitchen counter. "I don't know, man. I tried and he was all fucked up in there: loose screws and everything."

"You saw screws?" Marceline asked, intrigued.

"No." Forest shook his head. "I can't explain what I see, it just happens, alright? I've already been in Esau's head and he seems dangerous enough to do something like this."

Marceline raised an eyebrow. "So why are you defending him?"

"I'm not."

"'It's just a threat'-"

"I'm not," Forest cut in. "I just don't believe anyone would be barbaric enough to rape someone in an attempt to 'fix' them from being who they are. And believe me when I say I've got my own prejudices against homosexuality."

"Well, it's time you swallowed them up, 'cause this ain't nineteen twenty." Marceline moved from in front of the fridge. "Tell Troye to man up and deal with his shit. He's got a talent show to host and my kid brother's looking to dance on stage, I don't want him ruining that."

"Where are you going?" Marion asked her.

"I'm going to see if there's any reason I should be worried about Veronica's safety from Esau."

"She's like Nick Fury," Marion remarked as he opened the fridge and stared into it for a few seconds before shutting it. He looked at Forest. "So... superpowers, huh?"

Forest sighed. "Don't ask."

"I wasn't going to. I can rewind time," said Marion. "I think."

Forest nodded. "I'm gonna go ask Troye what Marceline said to ask. My sister's looking forward to this too."

"I'm gonna go home." Marion sighed. "And Forest. I'm sorry. It wasn't my place to judge you about what you do. That's you, man, and if that rings your bell, go for it."

"A'ight."

Friday

When she woke up, Tulip felt sick and disorientated. She didn't know where she was until she saw Lucien in bed, next to her. "Lucien?"