A New Friend

Every day I go to school and try to keep my distance from Madison. Thankfully I didn't see her on the bus, but if she saw me she probably would've spilled grape juice all over my dress. She said that grape juice is a replica of annoying soooo ya. Now that I'm off the bus I head to my locker, which is two lockers down from Madison's. I got to grab my Math books, my Science books, and my English books, but then I turn around and there's Madison. 

     "Hey Grape Juice," she said with her evil tone.

I tried to ignore her and just walk away, but then there's her best friend, Grace. 

     "Look whose here Madison," Grace said. "I bought something for you, ya know so you can get a friend that's just like you."

"Hey look she has grape juice," I thought, but then I thought, "She has grape juice. Oh no, run! I have my nice white dress on that my mom finally was able to buy me! NOOOOOO she dumped the grape juice all over my new white dress!"

     "Now you have a friend to carry around all day, you two are like twins, maybe you should name your new friend, also your only friend, Obnoxious," Madison said, then they walked away laughing. 

This is great, my new white dress is ruined, and now I have to go to Mr. Derinks class ughhhh, I wish I could go to a different school. Mr. Derink is the meanest teacher in the world, but somehow my mom is interested in him, he asked her out last week and they're going on a date tonight yayyyy, that sarcasm. I've asked my mom if I could go to a different school but she said, "No honey, you're going to miss Madison so much and you won't have the friends you have now." So I guess that was the end of that. Before I get to class I'm going to try to clean off my dress. 

                                                                                        ...

As soon as I walk in there I hear a girl crying, so I said... "Hello? Anybody in here?" I heard nothing so I just walked to the sink to wash off my dress. Then all of a sudden a girl walked out of the stall.

     "Sorry about that, hi," she said as she wiped her nose. 

    "Hi, what's your name? Are you new here, I've never seen you?" I said back. 

     "I'm Kiera, I'm not new here, I always just sit in the bathroom because it's the only place that's peaceful I can stay. Sometimes I fall asleep on the toilet." 

     "Why do you want to stay somewhere peaceful? Sitting on the toilet?!" I said, "Well that's kind of disturbing," I said quietly.

     "I sit somewhere peaceful because my parents are always fighting at home so I can never fall asleep or be somewhere quiet to finish homework. Sorry, I shouldn't have said that I sleep on the toilet." She answered very quietly. 

     "Oh, well at least you have both your mom and dad. Well, I gotta go to class now."

     "Wait what do you mean both mom and dad?"

I just left the bathroom not wanting to answer because I knew that I would cry if I talked about dad. 

                                                                                          ...

     I headed down to Mr. Derinks class scared that he would call me out, so I took a leap of faith and opened the door to his class and tried to sneak to an open chair quietly, but then I heard.

     "Olivia Kendricks, why are you late again!? I cannot believe you and your mother are related! She is so much more put together than you are." He said.

     "Sorry, Mr. Derink, Madison, and Grace purposely spilled..." I tried talking fast because I knew he would interrupt me, and he did.  

     "Stop blaming others! Now sit down and be quiet!"

I looked over at Madison and Olivia, they gave each other hie-fives and Madison grinned at me. 

                                                                                     ...

School is finally over and as I walked out, Kiera stopped me and I was pretty confused. 

     "Hey Olivia," she said shyly, "Do you wanna, maybe hang out sometime?"

I was shocked by what she said, but I did think about what she said. 

     Finally, I said, "Sure do you wanna hang out tonight if you're okay with my mom not being home, and if it's okay with your parents?"

     "Really!? I'm fine with that! My parents won't care they don't usually look out for me because they are always fighting. Will your dad be home?"

I stayed quiet for a long time and stared at my feet while I played with my tassels on my backpack.

     "Did I say something wrong?" Kiera asked?

     "No, it's just, never mind, I'll probably tell you later."

     "Okay...Well, I'm so excited nobody usually wants to hang out with me."

Wow, Kiera can talk loud, I started to laugh. 

     "Oops," she said, "was I talking too loud."

We both started to laugh together, "I think we're going to be good friends," I said.