Adoption

The devil creeps even closer, invading her personal space. He does not blink, does not breath, just stares into and through her, as though she were a mere piece of dust on the floor that fascinates him.

She leans back to gain some distance from him but loses her balance. Her arms shoot out to catch herself, but she does not get the chance. The devil's arms extend and grasp onto her own, keeping her from falling backward. His hands are powerful but gentle, and they harbor the same unusual heat. It feels as though fire dwells just beneath his skin and is licking at her own flesh. She stares at him, equally terrified and surprised.

He pulls her closer, placing his legs on either side of her body, never once taking his eyes off of her face. He harbors no expression, simply turns his head one way and then the next, as though absorbing the situation. Cold chills spread across the girl's body as she avoids glancing down at his exposed form. She clamps her eyes shut, shaking her head in disbelief.

The devil witnesses all of this peculiar girls movements and tries to analyze them. It is the first time that a human has requested something so unusual from him. Love is such a subjective notion that he is unsure of whether he can be of assistance to her. But fulfill her wish he shall, as he was summoned to do so. He brushes his lips against her ear. A small shudder runs through the girl.

"You desire, love?" he whispers, his voice smooth and soft. There is no longer a hint of absolute horror to his words, yet raw power lurks beneath the surface of his sweet words.

She squeezes her eyes tighter yet; fear the forefront of her actions, but another feeling is creeping throughout her body. A weird heat that she is not familiar with. It warms her face and causes her heart to beat even faster. She sinks into her body, attempting to make herself as small as physically possible.

"Y-yes! B-but the kind that daddy had for me," she cries out, opening her eyes. His face is a breath away from hers, his lips too close. She panics and thrusts her arms out against his bare chest. The warm energy wavers off of his form, as though it were an extension of his being, something altogether foreign that could touch and grasp things just as well as a human hand.

She gasps and draws back her hands, but the devil catches them. He clutches onto her tightly, but not enough to cause pain. She attempts to free herself, but it's useless. His strength is leagues greater than her own. She scans his face, unable to read what he is thinking. She fears that she has upset this strange creature and does not want to be on the receiving end of his punishment.

The devil stares at her, watching the expressions play across the child's face, each one so painfully apparent it's almost laughable.

"You fear me," he says softly, still grasping her hands in his.

She glances away. He pulls her closer, bringing her back up to his face.

"You desire love, but in a paternal sense, correct?" he asks.

"W-what's paternal?" she whispers.

The devil studies her face. She is genuinely unaware of the term. But of course, she is a mere child, even by human standards.

"Fatherly. You desire the love of a father," he says.

She glances up at him, her quivers subsiding. She nods, a hint of sadness buried deep in her eyes.

The devil releases her arms and leans back. She stares at him, unsure of what he's plotting. He waves his arm over his body and with it, clothing appears, covering up his exposed portions.

"I can provide fatherly love if that is truly what you desire," he says, staring at her.

"I-it is, yes. I want a daddy," she whispers, staring at the ground.

"Then your 'daddy' I shall become. In exchange for this service, I will take something invaluable from you, regardless of whether you give it up of your own free will or if I must take it. You do not have to pay for this service until our contract comes to a close. Do you accept these terms?" The devil says, his eyes boring into the girl.

"I don't have any money," the girl whispers, not sure how to pay for otherworldly help.

"Money means nothing to me. Our contract will exist as long as you exist in this world. I will become your father until your last day on Earth, and on that day, I will collect my payment. If you choose to enter into this contract with me, be warned that it is irreversible," he says.

The girl stares at him. He blinks.

"Ah, our contract becomes law. You will not be able to change any part of it, even if you really want to. Do you understand?"

The girl glances at the ground and chews on her lip. She looks up at him, her soft eyes shining with tears and nods. He reaches out and grasps her injured arm gently. She shivers but does not resist.