Chapter Two

1961

Ayren found herself lying in soft, green grass. She sat up, rubbing her eyes, and quickly realized she was dreaming. Axel was beside her.

"Where are we...?" she whispered, squinting at the bright light. Upbeat music was playing, and they could hear voices fighting to become louder than it.
Axel sat up. "Should we follow the noise?"

"I don't know..."

When they turned around, they saw several colorful structures and dozens of adults and children rushing around. The smell of cotton candy hit Ayren's nose.

"Ew! What's that smell?" Axel cringed. "I feel like sugar is being poured into my nose!"

"I don't know... Maybe it's a circus," Ayren replied. She only knew what a circus was because Dwayne told her she belonged in one after she saw it on TV.

"Hello?" Axel yelled at one of the children. "Can you hear us?"

They disappeared into the crowd. Ayren got up and walked towards the scene, curious. In the middle of the organized chaos, she saw two familiar figures. It was Jennie and Dwayne. Jennie's thin arms were wrapped around Dwayne's bicep.

"Can we ride the Farris wheel?" She asked with bright eyes.

"If you want to. I don't trust those things, but I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Or you could go win me a big teddy bear prize."
He chuckled. "I think you overestimate my talent."

"Which game should we play?" She turned around. Axel could have sworn that she looked at them. "Oh, that one! Ring toss!"

"Are you good at ring toss?"

"Of course not, Dwayne," she grinned. She paid the worker and got a bucket of rings. She pointed at a huge white bear. "You'll be mine tonight!"

"Alright. Show us what you've got," Dwayne said to her.

"I got this." She stretched her arms out. "Ready?" She didn't wait for a response. She threw the ring, but it didn't even go near the bottles.

"That's why you have a whole bucket."

"Gosh, this is hard." She threw another one, then pouted once it bounced off the glass.

"Can I try?" Dwayne asked.

"Of course." She pushed the entire bucket to him.
He stared at the bottles for a few seconds, then threw the ring. It bounced off the rim of the glass, so he threw another and landed it perfectly.

"We'll get that bear in no time!" Jennie cried with joy.

She was right. After a few more tosses, the massive bear was in Jennie's arms. She held it close and smiled at Dwayne.

"Thank you, darling."

"Anything for you, doll. Now let's head over to the ferris wheel."

They held hands. Axel watched with sadness. "Ayren, why would he kill her? They look so happy."

"I don't know, Axel."