Chapter 2: Do You Want To Build A Snowman?

A few days later, Roman came bounding down the hallway to Remus's room. He knocked on the door proudly. "Remus?" No answer. "Do you want to build a snow man?" Again, Remus didn't respond. "Come on, let's go and play! I never see you anymore! Come out the door! It's like you've gone away!"

Roman sat down outside his door and held up the dolls they used to play with. They looked like princes, similar to himself and Roman. "We used to be best buddies, and now we're not. I wish you would tell me why?" He peeked in the key hole, and saw Remus staring out the window. "Do you wanna build a snow man?" He whispered through the hole. "It doesn't have to be a snowman!"

Remus shook his head. "Go away, Roman!"

"Okay, bye...." Roman walked away, looking dejected as he did so.

Later that day, Remus was stood before his father. "I'm doing everything you said, papa. And look, the gloves are helping!" He held up his hands, which had black gloves with a delicate green embroidered sleeve.

Agnarr nodded. "Good, but there will come a day when you have to stand before your people without them. You must be prepared for everything, Remus. Now again."

Remus repeated the phrase that his father had used since the tragic day. "Conceal it, don't feel it. Don't let it show."

"Very good."

Five years later, a few months after Roman's eleventh birthday and a week before Remus's thirteenth birthday, Roman was before his door again. He knocked, before speaking. "Do you want to build a snowman?" Though the phrase hadn't worked in years, he still tried every now and then. "Or ride our bikes around the halls! I think some company is overdue, I've started talking to the pictures on the walls!" He pointed up to the painting of a knight that hung outside of Remus's room. "Hang in their Joan!"

He wandered the hall, still speaking loud enough for Remus to hear. "It gets a little lonely, all these empty rooms, just watching the hours tick by!" The clock at the end of the hall seemed to tick louder to emphasize his point. But still Remus ignored him, and Roman left dejectedly.

Two days after Remus's birthday, their parents were watching him as he hid in the corner of his room surrounded by ice. "It's getting stronger! I can't laugh, I can't cry, I can't dream, I can't live without it bursting out!"

Iduna nearly broke down seeing their son so distraught. "This is too much for her, we shouldn't go. Come here, my poor child-"

Remus hugged himself even tighter. "No, don't touch me. I don't want to hurt you
Conceal it, don't feel it. Conceal it, don't feel it!"

Agnarr lead Iduna out of the room, letting Remus handle the ice on his own. The next day, each brother stood on opposite ends of the hall as they said goodbye to their parents. Iduna approached Roman. "Roman, it's time.."

Roman huffed his mother tight. "I'm gonna miss you!"

Iduna pulled away and went to hug Remus, who stiffened with the touch. "I-I can't do this here... n-not on my own.." he whispered.

When Iduna pulled away, Agnarr put his hand on her shoulder, speaking calmly to their son. "You can and you must. I'm proud of you."

Remus met his eyes. "I'll try not to let you down, father."

But sadly, two weeks went by and there was no sign of the King or Queen. Later that month, the bishop made an announcement to the kingdom. "In the name of our King and Queen lost at sea, Arendelle shall honor their ways until our young King comes of age. May they Rest In Peace."

Roman tried to talk to Remus. "Please, I know you're in there... people are asking where you've been... they say have courage, and I'm trying to. I'm right out here for you... just let me in.... we only have each other, it's just you and me... what are we going to do..." Remus never responded, but he thought he'd try.

After years of no answer, Roman waited another five years, until it was the day after Remus's birthday, the day before the coronation. "Remus, please. I know you're in there.. I'm just wondering how you've been... do you maybe want to take a walk? Or just sit and talk? Or let me in?" Remus didn't respond again. "Are you ready for tomorrow? It's your big day. Is there anything I can do?"

Remus whispered to himself, hoping Roman would ask the question, but he never did anymore. "Do you want to build a snowman?" Though Roman, of course, couldn't hear him. He heard his brother walk away, and he broke down and cried. How could they have fallen out this badly? Why couldn't they have let him in?