first day

Summer is officially over.

And while it was a good summer spent with friends, all good things must come to an end and the first day of hell has arrived. Eddie got up pretty early so he had enough time to shower and make sure he has his essentials packed.

Everything is pretty much ready to go.

Eddie got dressed, putting on a pair of shorts (because it's not like the high school would put any effort into buying air conditioning) and a random polo shirt. He clipped his fanny pack around his waist and ran a comb through his hair quickly before he grabbed his bag and walked out of his room.

Of course, his mother was waiting in the kitchen for him. Every morning she reminded him to take his medication and especially now that school is beginning, she won't hesitate to tell him to be careful along with reminding him about the AIDS epidemic that always seems to be going around.

"Now remember Eddie, make sure you sanitize your desk and chair in every class before you even touch it! Desks and other shared objects are prime habitats for virus' and diseases! Bacteria and single-celled organisms can cause strep throat, the flu, and pneumonia. Wouldn't want to get sick." She reminded habitually.

Eddie gulped, trying to think of anything other than the possible diseases he could contract from school. "Yes, I know." He sighed as he glanced at the clock on the stove.

"Good. Have you taken your medication this morning?" Eddie nodded and tapped his foot impatiently on the cold tile floor beneath him.

"Okay, good. Have a good first day at school!" She called as he began to walk towards the front door. "Bye Mom." He grumbled, closing the door behind him.

He grabbed his bike from the side of his house and began his short journey to school. Luckily, he didn't live far from it, so it was only about a 10 minute ride to the school.

When he finally arrived at the school, the first thing he sees is all of the Losers patiently waiting for him to arrive. They were all chattering amongst themselves until Ben noticed Eddie and pointed at him, making everyone turn and grin at the boy.

"What took you so long?" Stan questioned as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Mrs.K gave him the f-f-first day of school d-d-diease s-s-speech." Bill snickered.

"Very funny, Bill. Sorry my mom is being over protective." Eddie scoffed, setting his bike next to the Ben's bike.

"Hey Eddie, I saw your new friend walking in a few minutes ago." Beverly said with a smirk. "What? Who?" Eddie questioned.

"R-R-Richie." Bill responded.

"Oh. He's not really my friend." Eddie muttered as he looked around the courtyard.

"Yet." Beverly added smugly, earning a glare from Eddie. "Seriously, why are you guys bothering me so much about him? I was just hanging out with him at the arcade. If it was anyone else you wouldn't even care."

"I bet you didn't even sanitize the controller after he used it." jested Stan.

Beverly chuckled, "Yeah, you happily shared hand germs with a stranger."

Eddie huffed, "Would you guys cut it out already?!"

"Y-Y-You didn't deny it." Bill smirked. "It didn't cross my mind at the time." Eddie shrugged as he stopped at his locker and began turning the combination.

Stan gasped, "You mean, you weren't thinking about the possible germs and bacteria that could be on his hand, that then passed onto the game controller, which you then touched and it spread to you, possibly catching malaria?"