12 - Boy groups have NO variety nowadays

Okay, let's talk.

There is not a single boy group out there doing cute stuff anymore. I can't think of a SINGLE ONE.

Astro? Nope, they're edgy now too. Look at Blue Flame.

Golden Child? Nope, look at Without You and Wannabe.

NCT Dream? Nope, look at Boom.

TXT? Just Can't You See Me? Enough said.

Seventeen? Nope, look at Getting Closer, Home, Fear, Hit, etc, etc. Don't get me started on them though. I could make a whole rant chapter on their new music.

Okay, I get it. They have to grow up eventually. They're getting older so they can't be running around in their shorts and suspenders singing about gum, but this much of a drastic change is unnecessary.

Now, I don't dislike most of the songs listed above. If I'm being honest, I like Astro's new style a lot. I think it suits them. But I'm so sick of the same song, the same music video, and the same outfits on every. FREAKING. GROUP.

For example:

-The MVs? Some kind of dark red or blue lighting with aesthetic zoom ins on the member's faces. Behold:

-If I'm being honest, I could do a whole thing of what I like to call "the edgy boy group that wants to get recognition finally" sound.

-The outfits. One of the most common is a  dress shirt and a harness of some sort. There's also lots and lots of black leather. Oh, and we can't forget the iconic, "He's wearing a jacket but there's nO sHiRt UnDeR iT. wOw."

Yeah, another thing I am incredibly not thrilled by is the amount of skin-showing. Now, I'm not one against idols taking off their clothes, but I'm so sick of every time a group drops a new MV or does a live stage, the highlight is the flashes of abs. Like, if that's all you people wanted, they could've just walked out on stage, took their shirt off, and left. No need for that huge complicated performance, because apparently that's all that matters. I am so done with songs getting considered "sexy" because they take off their shirts in the MV. I never thought I'd be using BTS as an example, but Taehyung's back display in Blood, Sweat, And Tears where he had his wings ripped out? Amazing, absolutely stunning. Moonbin in the Blue Flame MV just... sitting there... with his back out... because... back... I'm not here for it.

If it doesn't apply to the song or contribute to the aesthetic, THEY DON'T NEED TO TAKE THEIR SHIRTS OFF.

You want to know what's an example of a good MV? ENOi's Cheeky.

There's stuff happening in the MV, it tells a cute little story while also not requiring 5000000 IQ to piece it together, there's color for once, and everyone is fully clothed!

While some groups I hope stick with their new edgy sound (The Boyz, Astro, Victon, etc), some artists seem like they're trying WAY too hard to be edgy.

Now, why do I think this sudden change of sound is happening? Simple, western influence. Everyone who's had even a minute of experience with western culture knows that we hate men that aren't "manly enough." That's why we have all these cookie cutter, handsome, ripped, tall male idols being popularized. They appeal more to westerners who can't stand the idea of men not acting like what they envision as "qualified men."

···

Sorry, that got a little political at the end there. Anyway, like always, no hate to any artists on this list. I have pretty much all of these songs on my main playlist. I'm also not saying I dislike any of the points featured in this chapter, I'm just saying that we could use a little variety.

I have three chapters in my drafts I'm hoping to publish soon, so look forward to that. Let's hope I get a little more frequent on this book oof-