Shattermare - Mistakes

This is short, sorry! And I apologize for not updating this book in 2 months! :(

Requested By: @imacutepotato-3-

3rd Person POV

The sound of footsteps could be heard loud and clear as they made contact with the hard, cracked concrete ground, echoing through the hallway. The rain hitting hard against the tall glass windows of the dark castle. Thunder following behind "roaring" loudly, loud enough to make you think it striked the building.

Those were the only things Nightmare could hear besides his soul beating hard against his damaged ribcage. The only thing that worried the small skeletal being, were the footsteps getting more louder as they got closer every few seconds.

"Oh Nighty..~"

Once Nightmare heard that low and slightly distorted voice, the world around him felt cold. He quickly turned around to see the thing he once used to call his brother, grinning widely at him. "Did you really think you could run away from me?~" A hand lifted Nightmare's chin up, forcing him to look up at Dream— no, Shattered.

A low chuckle came from the taller. "You were wrong then..~" Nightmare glared up at him and moved his head away, forcing Shattered to let go of his chin. He growled, taking a few steps away from Shattered. "Screw you." He spat. Shattered let out a growl, his tentacles aiming at Nightmare.

"I would shut up right this second if I were you."

And so he did.

After a moment, Shattered retracted his tendrils and slightly relaxed, still glaring at the smaller. "Follow me." He simply said, and walked past Nightmare, heading for the stairs. Nightmare hesitated, but followed after him- knowing he might get severely injured if he didn't obey.

Walking up the stairs, he kept his head low, not wanting to look at anything. Soon enough he had to, because they reached their destination. Shattered opened the door, revealing a large bedroom.

"I had designed it specifically for you, so I hope you like it." Shattered said, and motioned Nightmare to walk in. Once he did, he was surprised how clean it was. The bed frame was white, and both covers and pillows were white and purple. Dark Oak nightstands on both sides with a lamp that illuminated the room with a bright glow.

A yellow rectangular carpet in the middle of the room, a white closet next to the door, there was a balcony too- but it seemed to be locked. A large mirror stood on the wall next to the bed, supposedly the bathroom at the back of the room, and a large chandelier in the middle to top it off.

Nightmare walked to the bed and moved his hand across the blankets, noticing how soft and fluffy they were. A small smile formed on his face and he looked back to the door, only to realize Shattered wasn't there anymore. He walked towards the door in confusion. 'Where did he go..?' He peeked outside the room, not seeing a sign of Shattered anywhere.

Nightmare shrugged and closed the door, walking back to his new bed and sat down on it, sighing. "Is all this just for me to trust him..?" He asked, not expecting a response. He sighed again and laid down onto the soft blankets, grumbling. "This better not turn into some Stockholm-Syndrome sh#t.."

>>timeskip } location: garden<<

Nightmare walked around in the garden of the castle he was being.. well, "trapped" in. He was surprised on how nice the flowers looked, and weren't dead or anything. 'I guess Shattered actually takes care of things..' Nightmare thought to himself, and sat next to a flowerbed.

The flowers were yellow and purple, just like Nightmare's outfit colors.. and the colors that resembled Dream and Nightmare. Nightmare frowned at the thought. He missed his brother a lot, and he wanted things to go back to the way they used to be.

"Beautiful, aren't they?"

The smaller squeaked and looked next to him, just to see Shattered sitting beside him with a smile on his face. Nightmare blinked, processing what Shattered said for a moment before looking back at the flowers.

"..Yeah.."

He didn't want to talk to Shattered right now. He didn't want to talk to anyone. He just wanted to be alone and enjoy the quiet.. but all good things must come to an end.

Nightmare looked up at the sky that once used to be blue, and now was a dark yellow. Fitting for Shattered, but it only gave Nightmare flashbacks to what he used to be. But he must admit, it was calming..

"Nightmare."

Said skeleton squeaked and turned to look at Shattered. He slightly calmed down, but was still alert. He nervously answered. "Uh... y-yes..?" Shattered looked at him, a cold look in his eye.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I.. didn't even plan for this.. I-.." Shattered cut himself off, shakily inhaling. "I wish I could take back everything I did.. but.. I can't."

Dream was talking. This wasn't Shattered.

Nightmare's eyes widened slightly, not having any words to say. Then was so.. sudden. Purple tears formed in the corner of his eyes and he immediately wiped them away, sighing. Nightmare put his hand on the other's as he gave a small, sad smile.

"I forgive you," He whispered softly. "We both made mistakes, everyone makes mistakes, no matter how bad it is or was." Nightmare hugged his brother, giggling slightly. "It's okay."

Shattered sobbed, hugging Nightmare back tightly as he turned into his passive form, revealing Dream. He kept repeating apologies over and over again, and Nightmare rubbed his back in circles, smiling softly.

"I love you."

Shattered—Dream?— froze, hearing those words come out of Nightmare's mouth. A smile began to form on his face as he rested his head on the other's shoulder.

"I love you too.."