1

"The road to our future intertwines with our past and resides in our present." - IgweSharonStone

       *--------------------------------------*

Adele's magical voice flowed through the radio, and her melody was appreciated by an off-key singer and an enthusiastic dancer. With a scarf tied around her braids, she rocked her slim waist to the strumming rhythm. Her high-pitched voice rang over that of the talented singer.

She added extra detergent into the washing machine, her attention focused on the timer as she screamed the chorus of her favorite singer.

We could have had it all!
Rolling in the deep!
You had my heart inside your hands!

             But you played it.
You played it
You played it.
You played it to the beat!

An animal of the family Felidae; the cat, eyed his eccentric owner as she threw her arms in the air to meet a pitch that was mirror-shattering. The fluffy animal strolled from its pillow to the open window, anything to get away from the horrible noise. Its blue eyes rolled at her when she tripped on a wet floor.

"Meow!"

"Don't you dare laugh, Grumpy." Louisa picked her drenched self up from her peach-tiled floor.

She grumbled into her bedroom and then stripped to her underwear as she searched for new shorts. She heard Grumpy hump into her bed. Her pet seemed to laugh at her and ignore her at the same time, he had a skill that could make her look stupid regardless of her doctorate and position as a head psychologist in a renowned hospital.

"It was a mistake," she whined when he kept eyeing her, "I forgot there was a bucket of water behind me. You don't have to look at me like that."

She didn't know what was more pathetic, that she was talking to a cat or one who only ignored her except when he needed to eat or be cuddled. She named him Grumpy because he never smiled. If he was human, she believed he would be rude, dismissive, and arrogant. It sounded like she was describing a man who was an asshole but Louisa knew her pet wasn't the nicest of them all. Despite his grumpy attitude, she loved him and in a twisted way, he was the only family she had. He was her best friend and roommate at a reasonable price of a cozy shelter and two meals per day.

"You know Grumpy, we should celebrate our tenth anniversary," in a less exciting tone, she added, "which also happens to be my birthday." She found a pair of nude shorts and a white tank top to go with it.

Louisa could remember finding a white, furry kitten in the dumpster at the orphanage, she was scared at first but he appeared terrified too, and covered in dirt. So she hid him and fed him, despite the malnourished bits she was given, she held on to her first friend in the city.

Rubbing circles around a residing headache that clung to her temple, she sighed, the orphanage was in the past she preferred not to explore. It was bleak and not the way she wanted to start her day. The past was not a bright place to dwell, that was why she dedicated most of her life trying to stay away from that abyss.

She dropped to the foot of her bed, her flurry box braids coating her arm and chest as she glared at her reflection in the cheval floor mirror before her. Her brown skin seemed dull in the dark, unlike her red-painted nails which matched her toes. She pouted her full lips which attracted as much attention as her cheekbones and seemed to have every pride and confidence she lacked. Her face was sculptured in a way that gave her side view more attention. Louisa knew she was pretty and to some, attractive. Her hours in the gym paid off even though it wasn't to look attractive.