1

"Him? Why him?" Melissa asked, glancing up from her phone.

      "Wait, isn't that the one kid that hangs out with Pete Cadbury?" Katie questioned, biting down on the lollipop she had been sucking on. The sugary candy made an audible crunching sound as she crushed it between her teeth. It had already stained her tongue red.

    Jesse nodded earnestly, tucking a strand of his hair behind his ear. It was getting long- he needed a haircut. "What do you mean why him?"

     "Well... I've never even seen you guys talk. Besides, isn't he a bit... plain?" Melissa shrugged, straightening up in her seat.

     The three teenagers were gossiping together in the bustling cafeteria. It was what Jesse looked forward to most every day- a time where he could just spill all his feelings to his friends. They sat at their usual table to discuss only the most important matters. Jesse Hall's newest crush happened to be one of those important matters.

     "He's not plain!" Jesse defended. "He's suuuper cute! And I have Chemistry with him. He helped me with my lab the other day," Jesse said dreamily, settling his chin on top of his hand as he spoke with a little smile on his face.

     "I mean, he's not bad. He's kinda quiet, though. I've never even heard the kid speak," Melissa set her iPhone down as she became more engaged in the conversation. "I don't really see what there is to obsess over."

    Jesse gasped, grabbing his chest. His inner theatre kid was jumping out. Melissa had never said such an atrocious thing before. What wasn't there to like and obsess over when it came to Quintin Gibson? He was tall... handsome... sweet... Jesse practically drooled every time he saw him. The curly haired boy made Jesse's heart go through palpitations. Jesse just wanted to gobble him up.

"Bitch, are you blind?" Jesse rolled his eyes. "He's so fucking hot. And like! He was really nice to me! He doesn't have a girlfriend, does he?"

Katie already had her phone out. "I'm on it Currently stalking his insta..." Katie was the resident detective when it came to hunting down information on social media. She could find anyone in a matter of moments. It was concerning how good she was at it.

Jesse bent across the table, trying to get a peak at her screen. "He doesn't have any pictures holding a fish, does he?" He might just have to give Quintin up if that was the case.

     "No, thank god," Katie laughed. "But he's definitely single. His feed kinda gives me straight vibes, though. Is he straight?"

The golden question. Is he straight? The answer could be the deciding factor in whether Jesse decided to throw himself off a bridge in despair.

     Jesse sat back, scratching the back of his neck. "I dunno. Not something that just comes up when you're talking about electrons and protons, y'know?"

     Melissa snorted. "So that's the only occasion you've spoken to him? How are you head over heels in love with the guy so fast?" Melissa didn't even know why she was surprised. Jesse had a habit for falling way too hard and way too fast.

     Jesse sighed, slumping forward. Jesse's heart was a complicated thing. It just lunged out and decided that Quintin was his soulmate. Did he have any proof as to why? No... Did he even know Quintin Gibson's favorite color? Definitely not. He couldn't explain why, he just knew with absolute certainty that he was destined to be with Quintin.

"I dunno... He's just... so perfect..." Jesse had been nonstop daydreaming about their first and only encounter... It wasn't like Quintin had saved Jesse's life or anything. He had just grabbed a beaker for Jesse when he couldn't reach it... He had also fixed Jesse's safety glasses on his face before he went foreword with the experiment. Jesse tried to preach his thanks, but Quintin just gave him a nod before returning to his own experiment. Quintin hadn't even said a word to Jesse, yet Jesse was already longing after him.

Katie and Melissa glanced at each other. The last time Jesse had decided he was in love with another boy was freshman year. They both shuddered at the memory. 9th grade brought about dark days for the trio, especially Jesse. Jesse didn't stop chasing after his "true love" until that true love skipped town and Jesse was left to mope for months afterwards. He had thankfully bounced back... but just barely.

     "Jesse, why don't we put a foot on the breaks? What if he turns out to be a psycho maniac? Or has anger issues?" Katie said, trying to reason with Jesse. "Maybe you shouldn't rush into confessing your undying love so soon."

     "I don't care if he has anger issues or is a maniac... I'd let him hit me anyday," Jesse grinned, a dopey look on his face. "It might be more fun that way. He can tie me up and take out a whip! Hah!"

     Katie sighed. She realized Jesse had already fallen too far into his obsessive hole. Her and Melissa would never be able to save him from that point. Now all they could do was hope that Quintin would be able to survive Jesse's antics long enough to escape to another country. Otherwise... Quintin was going to end up stuck with Jesse clinging to him till the day he died. Katie knew she wouldn't be able to hold out that long, no matter how much she loved Jesse.

     "You're too freaky, Jesse," Melissa shook her head. "Maybe you should try approaching one of the guys at school that are actually interested in other dudes? You're going to end up getting hurt if you keep pining after all these straight boys."

     Jesse shrugged. "I've already tried out all of the gay crowd. I just... wasn't impressed. Besides, there's like ten gay boys max in this entire school. We've already all dated each other. We've been trading boyfriends since middle school." The perks of living in a small town... limited selection. It wasn't Jesse's fault he was sick of countryside twinks. They got boring after a while. Too much flamboyance in one room. He had nothing against fem dudes- hell, he was one himself- he just didn't mix with them romantically.

     "I guess that's true... still, you should be careful. You're going to end up sending the poor guy running. I guarantee you he's never had a fellow dude crush on him," Melissa said firmly.

     Jesse sighed dreamily. "That means I'll be his first! How romantic..." He had ended up missing Melissa's point entirely.

     "You're hopeless," Melissa snorted, opening a bag of gold fish to munch on. The cheesy crackers were a fan favorite of hers. It wasn't unusual for her to be seen going through 8 packets a day.

     Jesse grinned. He knew how hopeless he was. One thing he didn't know, though, was when to stop. He had Quintin in his sights and there was no way in hell he was ever going to let go now. Quintin was going to be his... no matter what.

A/N: Hey. Tell me what you thought! I plan to have regular updates, so stay tuned!