2

Quintin yawned as he leaned back in his seat. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before; the rowdy teenager had decided it'd be a better idea to play video games to the crack of dawn instead of get some rest. He was already tired and it was only 5th period. He had baseball practice after school to top it all off.

Something about 5th period just made Quintin even more exhausted. The class was Independent Reading... a.k.a the most boring class of the day. Quintin could barely keep his eyes open as he flipped through the pages of the book they were assigned to read. The story was dreadfully boring and Quintin found himself drifting away, staring at the walls covered in cheesy inspirational quotes instead. What was it with English teachers and their weird motivational posters?

Pete Cadbury, Quintin's best friend, was trying to catch Quintin's attention from the other side of the classroom. Pete Cadbury was a terrible name, so everyone just called him Cady. Cady was what you'd call an attention-seeking idiot. He always seemed wrapped up in some drama. Quintin had no idea how he managed to get so entangled in other people's problems. Quintin was certain that half of Cady's issues came from him getting involved with all the wrong girls. Cady was an attractive guy with cropped brown hair, stormy blue-gray eyes, and a big build. It seemed his good looks only attracted bitches, though.

      Quintin's eyes were drawn to Cady's waving hands. Quintin squinted as Cady signed to him to meet him after class. They had both learned sign language in the seventh grade so they'd be able to talk to each other in dead silence. They only knew a few key terms and the alphabet, but they managed to get by. Quintin sighed, nodding in response. Pete grinned, shooting finger guns back at him.

Quintin didn't know why Cady wanted to meet up after class, but he was certain it didn't mean good things were coming. Cady was constantly pulling Quintin into his own problems. Quintin figured that must have been the case that day as well.

Quintin disappointedly resigned himself back to reading the boring book the teacher had forced upon their students. He had to push down his sleepiness if he was going to get through the rest of the day. He was already daydreaming of his big bed as he flipped through cracked pages littered with dicks and curses drawn on them. Public school, am I right? You can't have school-owned property without graffiti.

The rest of the class period passed by in a snap. Quintin hadn't realized it was over until the bell rang. The red clock hanging on the wall covered in posters confirmed that it was time for the ten minute break between classes. Quintin grabbed his materials, sliding them into his bag and slinging his backpack over his shoulder.

     As soon as Quintin stepped out of the classroom, he was grabbed by Cady. Cady's calloused hands wrapped around Quintin's wrists and dragged him out of the hallway into an empty classroom. Quintin could see he was buzzing with excitement about something. His eyes were glazed over with excitement and he had a goofy grin plastered on his face.

Quintin sighed, crossing his arms across his chest. "Let it out. What happened?"

"Guess who's getting piped tonight!" Cady said, his smile only widening.

Quintin snorted. He didn't know why he expected Cady's news to be more relevant to him. Quintin couldn't care less who Cady smashed, but Cady was obsessed with sharing all the dirty details. Quintin was the only one who put up with hearing his gross stories. "Lemme guess... you?"

"What a clever little boy you are! And you'll never guess who!" Cady sang gleefully. Quintin could almost laugh. Cady was always calling Quintin a little boy even though Quintin towered over most of his classmates at an impressive height of 6'3. Cady still had an inch on him.

"I've got no idea, nor do I really care all that much," Quintin yawned. He seemed to have done that a lot in the past couple of hours. The lack of sleep was getting to him.

      "Bethany Powell! The Bethany Powell! Have you seen that rack on her?! I swear to god, if she doesn't let me titty fuck... I'll probably die from blue balls. Seriously!" Cady exclaimed.

    Quintin's nose scrunched up at Cady's vulgar language. He didn't partake in Cady's daily activity of objectifying women, but he never really made an effort to stop Cady's gross words. He almost felt bad for all the girls Cady hooked up with, but then he remembered most of them treated guys the same way. Bethany Powell wasn't much different. She was known to set her sights on a new guy every week, although she did have an on and off thing going on with Jeremy Igor. Quintin figured more power to her, but it wasn't really his style.

    "Have fun with that. You done bragging about your sex life?" Quintin said, already halfway out the door.

     "Aww! Is the wee little virgin upset? I told you I can set you up with someone! What's your type? You like big girls? Little girls? Wait, that sounded wrong. Please don't tell me you like 12 year old girls," Cady cringed.

     Quintin eyeballs just about rolled back in his skull. "Can you shut up? And I'm not a virgin, dip shit. I just don't wave my dick around and shove it in every hole in sight."

     "Hey, I don't do that!" Cady whined, chasing after Quintin as he stalked to his locker. He needed to swap out his books for the next class before he was late. Cady had credit recovery the next period, so he didn't need any materials other than some paper and a pencil.

     "Don't even deny it. You need to start heading upstairs. You've got like three minutes," Quintin warned, arriving in front of the door of his next class with Cady still at his heels.

     "Aw, whatever! Mrs. Sheets doesn't care if I'm late. Hey, can you cover for me at practice? My d appointment is right after school," Cady smirked.

    Quintin felt his lunch roll in his stomach. He fought back the urge to shudder at the thought of Cady getting it on in his car... the car Quintin had ridden in many times. It was a shame Quintin was stuck with such a man whore for a best friend.

    "Yeah, sure. Coach Redd isn't going to be too happy, you know."

    "Coach Redd can suck my big, fat, juicy co-." Cady was cut off as Quintin elbowed him in the side.

     "That's gross man. Seriously, go get to class! I'm not waiting in the doorway any longer to talk to you!"

    Cady pouted before taking off. Quintin watched him leave, shaking his head. Just as he was about to slip into class, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. He could feel someone's gaze on him. He glanced over his shoulder, locking eyes with a slightly familiar pair of hazel eyes. He knew the face of the person watching him, but he couldn't quite remember their name. Before he could recall it or say anything to the person, they disappeared out of sight.

      Quintin frowned, entering his classroom as the bell rang. As he took his seat, he ran over the lists of people from classes he had... he was certain he had class with the person. Their name sat at the top of his tongue.

      Just as the teacher's lesson began, the name came to Quintin.

Jesse Hall.