Chapter 4 - Memories of The Past

Previously:

"I'm.. here!" A desperate voice yelled out, panting and heaving noisily. Shattering my thoughts, my eyes fluttered to Tanjiro, who stood at the door with a multitude of horrible bruises all over. Suddenly, the light in Tanjiro's eyes faded as his body exhaustingly fell to the ground. Thankfully, I managed to catch the poor boy.

"Thank god you're alive," I muttered to myself as I slumped myself to my feet, carrying Tanjiro as though he were a heavy load of luggage. Ignoring my intense drowsiness, I somehow managed to heave the maroon haired boy into his futon, making sure not the break the fragile, wooden floorboards below.

"Y/n." Urokodaki murmured from afar, his voice slightly shaking. My eyes turned over to the goblin-masked man as he took a minute sip from within his mask. The cabin's signature scent of meat wrinkled my nose as I tiptoed over to Urokodaki, traversing the creaky floorboards as silently as possible; I wouldn't want to wake up Tanjiro.

"I've got a letter for you.".

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−-------------

Y/n PoV

Dear Sensei,

The Master has been informed of your return. Additionally, I have informed him of the two children under your care, although the Master seemed to already know of their existence.

Your return is being kept a secret, even to the rest of the Hashira. I have already voiced my disdain to the Master about allowing a criminal like you roam freely, with child hostages in tow. However, it seems the Master has high expectations of you, and urges me to trust in you.

I will not. Although I must follow our Master's orders, I will not trust you with any portion of my soul. However, as I must follow Oyakata-sama's instructions, I will leave you be. For now.

However, as childish as it may be, I still cannot bring myself to see you as a monster outright. I still hold out hope that you're no different than all those years ago. Prove it to me by taking great care of those siblings. They are special. I sense something in these two that makes them different. I believe the boy has potential, but to what extent is unknown. Under the teachings of Urokodaki, make this boy a Slayer.

Although, if you dare hurt Urokodaki or either of those two kids, I'll make your death certain. I will have no shame in decorating my room with the remains of your head. I shall reunite all the Hashira under the context of your defeat, and we will spare you beast no mercy. Not even your precious sisters will attempt to save you. Heed this warning.

Be thankful of the kindness Ubuyashiki-sama bestows upon you, and be grateful it was I who had stumbled upon you. If any of the other Hashira had found you first, especially your sister, war would've already been waged against you.

Tomioka.

I stood there, the rolled parchment silent in my hands. Urokodaki glared at me intently, awaiting even the slightest of a response. Memories soon flooded the halls of my brain, ransacking the superficial peace I had made in my isolation. I suppose I couldn't run away from fate forever.

"Urokodaki." I stated, peering over into the painted eyes of his frightening Tengu mask. I could sense a culmination of emotions within him, all mixing and swirling together to make a confused mess of feelings. Although, there was a notable disposition that stood out to me.

Relief.

"Do you trust me? Or are you simply taking the siblings and I out of fear that I would hurt you?" I inquired. The old man nod his head, albeit I could tell he was straining his face, even through his mask.