Chapter Nine

The following evening after closing time, Eleanore had another unexpected visitor. Toby was wiping down the tables and singing softly while his mum began washing up. After a while, Toby's singing was interrupted by a loud rapping on the shop's door.

Throwing down the rag Toby walked to the door and peered out to see a man dressed in a fine suit with a top hat and cane. Clasping his hand was a young girl about his age in a violet dress and bonnet.

Frowning, Toby opened the door and peeked his head out. "Sorry sir but if yer afta a pie we sold the last one bout an hour ago."

"Oh no, it's not a pie I'm after. I'm looking for a Miss Eleanore Lovett." said the gentleman. Toby was struck by how well-spoken this man was, he was obviously very wealthy. What was with all these posh people visiting lately?

"That's me mum, sir."

"Ah I see, I don't suppose you would be kind enough to fetch her? I would like to have a word." He said.

Toby hesitated but was won over by the kindness in the man's eyes, he knew an honest man when he saw one. "Sure." He said, opening the door. "Come in."

"Thank you." He said, stepping into the shop.

The girl followed after him and Toby managed to get a better look at her now that she was facing him. In the workhouse Toby had very rarely interacted with girls, they were always kept separate from the boys and only crossed paths when they were sometimes paired to do labour. This girl was no exception, yet he allowed himself to take a quick look at her.

The bonnet covered her long dark hair and masked her pale face, she was quite pretty with delicate features and large brown eyes that shone with life and curiosity. It became awkward however when her eyes met his and she realised he was staring.

She raised an eyebrow and stared straight back at him, causing Toby to lower his eyes in fear. Manners! He scolded. You never looked people in the eye. Unable to help himself, however, he took one more glance and regretted it.

Her small button nose red from the cold became wrinkled when she noticed the rather disgusting stain on his apron, and Toby found himself blushing with embarrassment.

He took them into the shop where his mum stood behind the counter with her hands in the sink. "Mum, there's a gent 'ere to see ya."

Eleanore turned around with a frown when she surveyed the two visitors.

"Yes?" She said politely "May I 'elp you?"

The man took off his hat and bowed to her. Beneath the hat was a head of well-groomed, thick hair and a dusting of light grey at his temples. His aristocratic features and kind eyes made his face seem almost familiar like she had seen it before.

"Good evening Mrs Lovett, I'm sorry to trouble you when you are closing." He said, his voice smooth with that same posh accent she had heard many times from south London. "My name is Richard Sykes. I'm Edith and Amelia's brother."

Eleanore's eyes widened in recognition. So that's where she knew his face, the gent was the spitting image of his old man.

"Oh. 'Ow d'ya do Mr Sykes." She glanced behind them, wondering if any other members of this esteemed family would be paying her a visit. She looked to the young girl at his side "Good evening to you too."

"Hello, Mrs Lovett." She said.

"I know my sisters dropped by the other day, but unfortunately I was caught up at work and couldn't go with them," he smiled then turned to look at the girl by his side. "My daughter and I wanted to drop by and personally say our thanks. I owe you my father's life, for that I can't thank you enough."