FINALE [PART III]

20: Inevitable casualties of battle cannot be reimbursed.

Karen's Pov:

[2 Days Later]

Josh's hands deftly tap one key over another, his face encompassing deep concentration as he plays the concluding chords of his piece.

The music fades with a lilting melody for a finishing touch and he looks up confidently.

As a much awaited, the auditorium erupts with an applause.

Josh steps down from the stage and I meet him halfway.

"Good luck." He whispers with an encouraging smile on his face.

"You were great." I whisper back and slowly make my way across the stage towards the grand piano.

I feel like a billion eyes are watching me, peering at my soul. I try to diminish the unearthly fear of falling on my face as I step on the polished floorboards.

I take a seat at the piano and glance at the crowd my breath hitching a little.

I could not be getting stage fright especially right now.

Just ignore the crowd.

How can I? All of them are staring at me specifically.

Jared Reed's eyes bore into mine. Beth is sitting right next to him a determined look on her face.

Yesterday was the only day I willed myself to devote the crucial attention towards the piano and my solo.

After ourdebilitating confrontation with the cops on Saturday, I was in no mentality of pursuing this occasion anymore.

And yet, only a mere month ago I'd been rigorously prepping myself for this moment.

Everything changed the second we conducted an intrusion into the enemy's landmines.

We thought we were doing the right thing but apparently, we hadn't thought through any of it.

The consequences, risks and liabilities were imploding in our case now.

Jared was at home with me on Sunday.

He sat next to me in taut silence as I fumbled with one key and another my mind unable to comprehend which piece I wanted to play.

Jared reached over and held my shaking hands.

"I can't do this." I sigh piteously.

Not after all that's happened. How could I?

"You can." He asserts gently.

"I can't focus, Jared. I honestly don't feel like doing anything at all."

"Of course, you do." He agrees. "But this is your future, career and ambition we're talking about."

I comprehend his words.

"For Dad." I say quietly and pick up the sheet music from my Chopin collection.

"For Dad." I console myself with a deep breath and play the first chord.

Don't focus on the whole solo.

Just think about making the one note count. The next will come on its own.

Or not.

Do not let those thoughts astray.

Shut them off.