9. save him

sunday, august 30
9:18 pm

jordyn.

"Okay okay. How do I look?" Lael asks, spinning around to show off her outfit.

"You look great. Are you sure you wanna go to another party? You literally just went to one last night," I ask, scratching my head.

"Yes, I'm sure. Come on, J. We're in college now. You sure you don't wanna come? I won't get distracted this time. I'll take care of you."

"Na, I'm good. I'm about to get on the phone with Miles anyway. Have you talked to Zion?"

"Not in a minute. He's been busy with basketball, and I've been busy with—"

"Partying?"

"You're not one to judge, Jordyn," she says, grabbing her purse.

"I'm not judging. I just care about you. I'd hate for you to end up like me."

"I'll be fine. Tell Miles I said hey."

She walks out of the door, leaving me alone in the dorm room. This is like the fourth night I've been left alone in a week. I mean I know people don't spend a lot of time in their rooms, but damn.

ring. ring. ring.

"Hey, baby."

"Hey, ma. What you doing?"

"Sitting in my room. Alone."

"Again? Where is everyone else?!"

"At parties. They're like a billion of them."

"Same here. You good?"

"Yea. Tired of being all alone every night, though."

Besides the intense need for alcohol, I am fine. I asked Miles to get on the phone with me because I won't drink if I have something to distract me.

"How's your mom?" I ask, moving the subject off of me.

"She's good. They're looking for apartments, so."

"You still wanna go back home?"

"Hell yea. My momma and my baby sister in hella danger. Plus, they fucking hate me here."

"They're just jealous, baby. You're outplaying seniors."

"I know, but is it worth getting treated like shit? It's just frustrating."

"I get that, but do you really wanna give up on your dreams because a couple jealous ass negros are hustlin you?"

"No, I just wish they'd shut the fuck up."

"Okay, then shut them up."

"How?"

"What are they constantly getting on you about?"

"They always talk about how I got carried through high school. Like I could never beat them in a one on one and shit."

"Well, then play them in a one on one, and whoop they're ass."

"And if I don't win?" he asks.

"You will," I smile.

"How you know?"

"Cause if you don't, I'll beat you up."

"Yo short ass can't even reach me," he laughs, grabbing a basketball.

"Mhm, you'll see. Are you okay, though?" I ask, noticing his face isn't quite the same.

"I will be. I just need my momma and Morgan to be okay. This basketball shit will get better hopefully."