Familia

"Are you in love with Dr. Melendez?"
     Audrey Lim looked up at Shaun Murphy. Her heart beat faster as she wondered if Shaun figured out their secret relationship. She tilted her head to the side. Her fingers paused over the medical record and she passed the tablet back to the nurse.
"Why would you think that?" Audrey asked, walking down the hallway.
Shaun popped up next to her. "You two are flirting. There are many signs of flirtation and you do many of them to Dr. Melendez and he responds back."
Audrey paused and turned to face him. "Shaun, whatever you see is wrong. Melendez and I have known each other for years and we are very good friends. But that's it."
Shaun looked past Audrey and then nodded. "Okay."
With that he walked off and left Audrey. Audrey gave her head a little shake before walking into the patients room. She stopped short as her name was called out. She looked to her left and stepped out of the room.
"Dr. Lim," a nurse came running up to her, "Dr. Melendez wants you to go to room 293. There's a patient there and he would like your help."
"Can it wait, I need to attend to my patient," Audrey inquired.
The nurse nodded. "He just wanted me to tell you that."
Audrey nodded. "Alright."

     Audrey finished up with her patient. It was pretty straight forward, just a few discharge instructions. She walked into the elevator, pressing the 2nd level.
     "Going down?" Morgan Reznick asked.
     Audrey gave a smile and nodded. "Melendez wants a second opinion."
Morgan nodded and got off on the third floor. Audrey was alone as she rode the last moments down to the second floor. As soon as the bell dinged, she was off on her way. Audrey easily found room 293, but when she walked in she was shocked.
     "That's right."
     Neil Melendez was sitting next to a young woman. They were reading a children's book and he was pointing at the other pictures. His voice was light and Audrey smiled. Neil looked up as Audrey tapped on a nearby table. He grinned and whispered something to the young woman.
"Hey, thanks," Neil said, approaching her. "This is Gabi, she uh, she's having one of her kidney's removed. She's had a mass on her kidney for years, but it's began to affect her health."
Audrey nodded. "And the real reason you wanted me here?"
Neil gave a grin and took her hand. He walked her over and Gabi smiled up st Audrey.
"Hi, are you gonna do my surgery?" Gabi asked.
"I'm going to be helping," Audrey said with a smile. "How are you feeling?"
      Audrey sat on a stool as she sat next to Gabi.
Gabi shrugged. "I don't know. Gato said that I'll feel better when my spleen is gone, but I don't want to be cut open."
"You won't feel anything," Audrey assured. "Worst case, you feel a bit of pain at the cut sight afterwards."
"We'll come get you in an hour." Neil gave Gabi's head a kiss before leaving with Audrey.
"She's sweet," Audrey said, once they were alone in her office.
"She refused to let anyone to the surgery except me," Neil said, sitting down heavily.
Audrey nodded. "And you needed my help because?"
"I wanted you to meet my little sister." Neil looked at her, waiting for her response.
"Gabi," Audrey mused. "You had to place her in a home, right?"
Neil nodded. "Yeah, but I visit her as much as I can."
"So you called me in to do the actual surgery while you assisted so you wouldn't be breaking as many house rules about family members," Audrey checked.
Neil nodded. "Yes. You'll help right?
Audrey smiled and stood up. "Of course I will." She looked around before lowering her voice. "Anything for you."
Neil smirked and looked around as well. "Thank you."
He gave her a small peck on the lips. Audrey nodded and bent down to open her desk drawer. She pulled out her blue scrubs and began pulled her hair back. She opened her closet doors and used them as a partition. She had her back to Neil as she waited for him to leave, as to not have a problem with Human Resources
"I'll meet you there in a bit, you go be with her. Make sure she's calm," Audrey instructed.
Neil nodded, coming over to stand behind her. His hands stayed in his pockets, but he gently nuzzled his nose into her neck. "You know I love it when you're authoritative."
Audrey smirked and turned to face him. "I am just telling you as leading surgeon what I want you to do."
Neil gave a chuckle and shook his head. He turned and walked out if her office, leaving Audrey smiling behind the partition.

"Pre-surgery meds?"
"Yes, Dr. Lim," nurse Gretchen approved.
"Thank you." Audrey looked back at Neil. "You ready?"
Neil nodded. The two walked next to each other into the surgery suite. Gabi was already on the table and hooked up to the EKG and IV lines. The anesthesiologist was hovering over Gabi, finishing the anesthetization. The ET Tube was in place and Gabi was ready for the removal.
"Scalpel," Audrey ordered, holding out her right hand.
Neil passed the scalpel to her and held the senn retractors. Audrey made brief eye contact before cutting.
"Suction," Neil requested as the blood began pooling.
A nurse's hand swooped in and placed the suction tube into the incision. Neil peered over Gabi and saw Audrey's skilled hands working swiftly.
"Clamps," Audrey said.
Audrey and Neil clamped off the arteries and veins. Audrey then took the electrocautery too, cutting through the veins and arteries. Audrey lifted the mass covered kidney and placed it into the silver kidney shaped tray that Neil held. Neil passed the tray to nurse Tramal and returned to assist Audrey.
"One at a time," Audrey mused aloud.
Together Neil and Audrey unclamped the hemostats, one at a time. Audrey cauterized a vein that was still leaking. Audrey looked up and smiled under the mask. Neil was poking and prodding all the veins and arteries to ensure no leaking. Audrey took the sutures and began stitching.
"Closing the peritoneum," Audrey said.
Finally came the epidermis. Audrey made swift and clean work at closing the skin wall. Neil wiped the blood off Gabi and they removed the drape. Neil stepped back, removing his gloves. Audrey and him left the surgery suite, letting the nurses and first year's finish monitoring. Audrey and Neil shed their surgical gowns and attire.
"Well done, Doctor Melendez," Audrey complimented with a sly smile.
"Same, Doctor Lim," Neil said, looking left to right.
He gave her a quick peck and left to be there when Gabi came out from the anesthesia. Audrey smiled and walked back to her office. Audrey entered her office, which had solid walls and one large window. She chuckled to herself at how she and Neil were almost caught making out in her office. Being Chief of Surgery had its perks, but everyone needed her at all times.
"Doctor Lim," Shaun poked his head around the door.
Audrey beckoned him in as she sat down and opened her laptop. Shaun began rambling about how he and Carly were having an argument and all of his friends were not helping. Audrey resisted a groan and listened; though, she let his words go in one ear and out the other ear.
"Shaun, this is a matter between the two of you," Audrey said in a strained voice. "Everyone here does not need to hear about your sexual excursions or about your relationship problems. You and Carly need to figure it out. You two need to talk things through, calmly."
Shaun nodded slowly. "Ok."
Audrey ran her fingers through her hair as Shaun left. Audrey heard a knock and allowed them in. She knew it was Neil before he opened the door. He was the only one who knocked five times.
"Gabi's out of anesthesia," Neil reported.
"How is she?" Audrey asked, standing.
"Doing wonderful," Neil said. "Because of you."
Audrey scoffed playfully. "You're only saying that because you want something."
Neil slid next to her, blocking her behind her desk. "You're so attractive when you are giving orders."
Audrey looked at Neil, smiling. "Well, I just might have to give you more orders."
Neil nodded, giving her a hug. "When we get home."
Audrey sighed. "Whenever that'll be."
"Paperwork?" Neil pulled away and looked at the pile of papers at the corner of her desk.
"Case reports, mostly." Audrey sat in her chair. "One court case."
"That'll take forever to figure out," Neil said understandingly.
Audrey nodded. "Unfortunately."
"Rain check then?" Neil looked down at her.
Audrey hummed her yes. Neil smiled and gave her a kiss before leaving to attend to his other patients. Audrey smiled and reached into her coat that was laid on the back of her chair. She reached into the pocket and pulled out a sticky note.
Good morning, Love. Have a great day!
-Neil xo

Neil had left her this note when he left one time before her. Audrey had carried it around for weeks, her little reminder about how much she loved Neil. Audrey stuck it on her desk, covering it with papers. The rest of the team was still thought they had broken up when Audrey became Chief. Audrey knew that keeping this secret was a little dangerous, but she knew that this was a necessary evil of being higher up that Neil.

_____________

Whatcha all think?
Next story is a AU when Neil is still alive during the Covid times. Will Audrey still be as reclusive and reckless? Or will he be the rock so she stays grounded during the tough times?