Chapter 21: Library

A trickle of lightning flashes, followed by an explosion of thunder. I tighten my hood over my hair and race even faster towards the refuge of the library. The pounding rain hammers at our backs as we run up the front steps and hurry inside.

It seems like everyone else has the same idea—the place is packed. Throngs of students congregate at tables, computers and couches. The chatter rises to a level I never would have expected in a library.

Chris and I are pushing through the turnstile when someone calls out, "Jessie! Chris!"

Rachel jumps up at a nearby table and waves frantically. Jazz reaches up to pull on the hem of her sweater. The librarian looks up and scowls, then redirects her gaze to the ceiling, where the rain is hammering hard. Perhaps she wants the rain to use its indoor voice too?

Rachel notices the librarian's livid expression and beckons us toward her so she won't have to yell.

"Are you guys trying to get all your homework done too?" Jazz asks.

I think about our mission. I don't want to say anything in front of Rachel. "Sort of." I imagine telling her the truth. Yeah, we're trying to find out how much scientists have discovered in terms of dreams because, well, Chris and I dream together. Every night. And we have no idea how. Can anyone else do that? How is this possible?

My head starts to hurt.

"Well, do as much as you can now," Rachel suggests. "The school's holding a barbecue on Monday. Food's completely free and there will be carnival rides and everything."

I perk up. "A barbecue?" Food, games, friends—fun! My brain takes off in the direction of my closet, already planning the perfect outfit. My new royal blue top with the short sleeves and white capris... "That sounds perfect."

Chris runs his hands down his soaking wet T-shirt. "Yeah, I could use a break like that."

He's feeling the weight of it too, I realize.

"So who's going?" I ask.

Rachel smiles, like she's been waiting for me to ask. "Me, Jazz, Casey, Brian and you guys."

All couples.

Chris speaks up. "Sounds great."

My heart jumps. Chris just said "sounds great" to what is essentially a triple date. What does that mean?

Chris turns bright red, as if the same thought just flew through his head.

Rachel turns to me. "Jessie?"

I'm overanalyzing things, I tell myself. It's not our fault our friends happened to pair up. "I'd love to."

"Awesome!" Rachel looks positively gleeful.

Chris tugs at the collar of his shirt. "What time is the, uh, barbecue at?"

I clear my throat. "Yeah, what time? I have chemistry on Monday."

"It's all day, so that's not a problem." Rachel lowers back into her seat. "Let's just hope it's not raining like this on Monday."

Jazz shakes his head. "Yeah, what is with this weather?"

Rachel folds her hands across her chest and raises an eyebrow. "You have to ask? It's so obvious—global warming!"

"It's not exactly warm out there," Jazz jokes.

Chris, a lot less red now, gestures towards the stacks. I shake my head to clear my thoughts, then nod back, as though to say, I know, but how do we get away?