𝗌𝗂𝗑

A/N: another very late and very bad update!! i've been busy with life things so i kinda left social media for a while, but i can't let you guys down. thank you for the support!! i am very grateful for all of you that have read and supported this book during my time away. ❤️❤️ i will say i'm not back to writing and interacting with people all the time, but i finally have some downtime to do what i love the most 😊 i hope you all enjoy!!

it's been a week since beomgyu and kai talked, along with the choi brothers' reconciliation, and beomgyu never felt so happy. he felt lighter on his feet with each step he took and his head felt more clear. his fellow classmates noticed his new mood, even his teacher, and his nonexistent social life was suddenly booming again.

beomgyu was walking home from his school after spending some hours in the library with a few classmates to finish a project for his physics class, his mood light despite the setting sun in the distance taking light with it. the stars began to sparkle within the dark sky and the night wind blew gently against his silver locks. crickets chirped softly then silenced themselves when beomgyu walked past them, and resumed their melancholy songs once he was gone.

normally the night would put anxiety and fear into the teen since he lost loved ones in the darkness of the night, but he wasn't afraid at the moment. he grew to embrace the darkness and find the beauties within it.

beomgyu would rather pretend he overcame his anxieties on his own than admit that the cute demon in his home helped him greatly.

he turned left onto his street and pulled out his phone to see the time was half past six. furrowing his eyebrows, beomgyu mumbled to himself. "it's still a bit early for this." he pushed the thought to the back of his mind and continued walking until a red light glides toward him then floated in front of him.

the teen stared at it with slight confusion until a warmth of comfort bloomed inside his chest. he reached out to touch it, but it moved away from him and a force told him to follow it.

beomgyu began to follow the red light without thinking about his surroundings. he didn't notice the light was leading him in the opposite direction of his house or that it lead him far away from the neighborhood.

he was too wrapped up in his head as he had a flashback to when he was 7 years old, watching taehyun play with his cat using a laser pointer on his bedroom wall.

beomgyu asked the younger boy, "why does hobak follow the light?"

taehyun shrugged. "i don't know. i think he just likes glowing things and wants to touch it."

"so he's dumb?" the older boy began to laugh until his friend uses his free hand to hit him upside the head then continue to move the laser pointer in circles, causing hobak to rapidly swipe at the wall with his kitten paws. "taehyun! why did you do that?!"

the boy rolled his eyes then said, "because hobak is not dumb. he knows the light isn't real. he's just determined to catch it because it's fun and shiny. he knows it's fake unlike you who's following a fake light right now."

beomgyu frowned at the last sentence. "what?"

taehyun turned off the laser pointer then turned his head to look into beomgyu's eyes and beomgyu froze in fear. the young boy's normally brown eyes were completely black and a black liquid began to spill from his eyes then down his cheeks.

"the light is fake, beomgyu. so wake up." he said then shined the laser pointer into beomgyu's eyes. pain explode into the boy's eyes and he let out a shout as he rubbed his eyes. when he opened them, he's back in the present except he's surrounded by trees and darkness surround him.

but, he wasn't alone in the darkness.

all around him were red lights that remind beomgyu of kai's fairy lights, except they lacked the warmth and security that kai's had. the red lights filled beomgyu with dread and fear as they continued to surround him.

the teen felt his breathing begin to quicken as he looked around for an opening only to see more red lights appear from the shadows. he began to hyperventilate and he reached into his pocket to grab his phone online to feel nothing.

he must've lost the phone somehow on the way to the woods and the thought put beomgyu in panic mode. he also noticed that his backpack was missing too and he wrapped his arms around himself to calm himself, but he couldn't think of a single serene thought with the red lights surrounding him and occasionally brushing against him. with each touch, he found it harder to breathe properly or to think without panicking.

beomgyu was trapped and he had no way to call anyone for help. he was all alone and helpless with the menacing lights.

suddenly, the lights disappeared within a blink of an eye and everything seemed to have come to a still. only beomgyu's heaving breathing could be heard until a familiar ringtone was heard behind him.

beomgyu felt his heart dropped as he heard the song he set as soobin's ringtone play. he could hear the lyrics of stay gold play and the song sounded as if it was mocking beomgyu in the moment.

he heard a stick snap behind him and he began to shack in fear as his heart raced inside his chest. he was beyond fucked and he knew it.

footsteps began to move toward him as a smooth yet malicious voice began to sing along with the song ever so softly as the phone rang until they stopped behind right behind him. beomgyu can hear and feel the thing breathing down on him. tears filled his eyes then fell down his cheeks as he was too scared to move or even breathe.

the song stops and the thing said one word that made beomgyu nearly start crying on the spot.

"run."

choi beomgyu entered the race for his life.