Chapter 5

TRIGGER WARNING
Suicide, witnessing death

Satoshi Fukase, Test response notes

What the hell am I going to find in here?

————

Satoshi Fukase
'Fukase'

Status: failed

VOCALOID
Group 4

DOB: Unknown
DOD: January 28th, 2016
Cause of death: Purposefully drank pure poison during free-time

Sex: M

Hair colour: Red
Eye colour: Red

Height: 4'9
Weight: 71 Lbs

We found him when he was young, estimated to be about 7 years old. He already had an above-average vocabulary for his age and was more mature mentally. Since then he has been indifferent to his situation, only wishing to be taught like "normal kids would". We gave him a basic school curriculum, and he passed through each grade with ease, making it through our basic curriculum by the (estimated) age of 9.

He doesn't interact with any of our other VOCALOID attempts on his own, but when asked to converse, he groups with Utatane Piko and V-Flower, who also have proven to be intelligent for their age.

Test 1, chemical response test
Result: only responds negatively to acidic substances
Status: success

Test 2, fire response test
Result: left arm, left side of face - permanent burn scar
Status: partial failure

Test 3, chemical response test II
Result: left iris broken, causing sclera and iris to fuse, left eye now appears entirely red
Status: failed

Test 4, vision test
Result: 20/20 vision despite Test 3 result, further testing may be needed.
Status: success

Test 5, Vocal test
Result: Clear speaking and singing voice in both Japanese and English
Status: success

Test 6, Vocal compatibility test
Result: Able to harmonize well, compatible with all VOCALOIDs so far.
Status: success

Found dead in room 68-M (chemical storage room 1), no external injuries.

No voicebank secured.

Containment unit: 'Point'

————

When I stopped reading, it felt almost too abrupt. Like it wasn't finished.

Lots of things match up... but lots of things don't...

Why did he kill himself when he seemed indifferent to his position?

What does  "Containment unit: Point" mean?

I rubbed my temple. This was too much to process. I left the notebook in my bag and basically fell into bed, I was too tired to care that I was basically cuddling into Fukase. My brain was drowning in thoughts. Luckily that made it easy to drift into sleep.

~~~~

I woke up on cold ground, and opened my eyes. I was in an unfamiliar area. I carefully pushed myself up. I was in a small room, with only a bed and a bedside table with some small trinkets laying on it.
In confusion and annoyance, I sat on the bed. It was soft and comfortable. I could almost fall asleep again on it. But then the door opened. Bringing with it a familiar head of messy red hair. He opened the door just enough for him to walk comfortably through, then closed the door as quietly as possible.
"Fukase?" I said quietly, but he didn't hear. I hummed at the lack of response. He was leaning with his back against the wall, quietly mumbling his problems to himself. I walked over to him so I could inspect him more closely, but he quickly slid to the floor, and I took myself with him. With how close I was, I could just barely hear what he was saying, a jumble of curses and insults, along with wishes to leave. I could barely process it, but I placed a hand on his shoulder, offering my possible support, but he immediately shot his head up.
"Leave me alone!" He quickly snapped his head toward me, but when he saw me, he moved back.
"Wh-who are you? Are you a new VOCALOID? You don't look like anyone else here..." He quickly rubbed his face, catching a tear on his palm. He flicked it off.
"Uh, no. I'm not a Voca-whatever. I don't know why I'm here to be honest." I scratched my head, trying to pin down what was going on.
"Whatever. I don't have time for this. I'm done here." He got up, an annoyed look on his face. "I can't stay in this place any longer, tell whoever you want, they aren't going to stop me."
"What do you mean? What are you going to do?"
"Are you a fucking idiot? I'm going to kill myself. They aren't using me like this anymore. I'm dying, and I'm dying by my own hands. If you're anything like me, you should too."
My eyes went wide. I glanced around the room, and lucky me, there was a digital clock with the date on it beside his bed.

January 28th.
I really am watching his death, aren't I?

I could feel myself grow cold and my heart felt like it fell into my stomach. God, I don't want to see this. I pinched myself as hard as I could, but it didn't do anything. He stood up and swung the door open, and before I knew it, my legs were taking me along. The hallways were long and mostly consisted of doors and nameplates. Eventually he came up to a door and opened it forcefully. The door had the nameplate '68-M', which only confirmed to me that I would have to watch the death of my only friend. But for some reason. I couldn't bring myself to leave or even close my eyes. Every inch of me felt sick and cold as I watched him move bottle after bottle around the shelf, until he found the one he wanted.
He pulled it down with a twisted look of happiness on his face. He pulled the lid off without hesitation, and just before he raised it to his lips, he gave a relieved smile. He poured it down his throat, and began coughing hard, tears falling from his eyes. I couldn't help but sob as I watched him go limp, falling into a heap on the floor. I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, and I couldn't process when was happening. This was all too much to figure out.
I barely heard someone calling my name through my sobs.

"Len! Len wake up! Len please!"

It kept repeating, over and over. But It took awhile for me to finally come to. When I opened my eyes, they were met by a familiar pair of red ones, filled with a mixture of fear and relief.
"Oh Len thank god! You were crying and hugging me like you were trying to kill me! Are you okay?!" But I didn't respond. I just pulled myself to sit up, letting tears fall.
"No, but I'm glad you are." I said through small sobs.

"What happened?"
"C-can we not talk about it right now? I'm still processing it..." I choked out.
"Alright... something else you want to talk about then?"
"Can we hug? I really just want to wrap my mind around this..." I held my arms out, and he nodded as he gave a soft smile before hugging me. I grabbed him tightly, carefully analyzing everything that happened in the dream, and paralleling it with what Fukase had explained to me, along with what I had read in the notebook. It finally fit together.

After a few minutes, I had calmed down enough that only a few tears were left, and even they were starting to dry. I pulled myself away, giving myself a few more deep breaths.
"So, uh... Fukase?"
"Hmm?"

"If you're comfortable talking about it,

do you remember anyone from your time living?"

A/N
Ehhh I'm not really a huge fan of this chapter but whatever. Sometimes you need a boring chapter for exposition.