Chapter 2

One morning, Amanda hurried to get into the living room where she found her sister sitting on the couch, listening to the radio that placed on the small table.

"Olivia, I got this from the post office today." Amanda handed a white envelope to her sister. "It said that it came from Frank."

"Really!" Olivia said in her surprise. She tore the envelope open quickly and pulled the small piece of paper out. There were words written on the paper, said:

Dear Olivia,

I miss you so much. The weather is getting cold and that makes me miss you more than ever. Working here, I can have everything I need, like the best suit, the best meal, and the most comfortable bed. They treat me so well. But the only thing they can't give me here is you. I hope I can finish this project and go back home soon.

I'm working in a small laboratory in the center of Charm Mountain. I didn't get the news from the outside world for months and it feels like I'm living in another world. Recently, I got permission from the chief to send you a letter but I have no right to mention anything that is related to our project because there's a risk someone could get this letter. So I need to be more careful.

If you get this letter, please know that I'm fine and don't send any letter to me. If I have a chance, I will write to you again. I love you, my darling.

Love always,

Frank

"Oh, it is him, Amanda. It is him!!!" Olivia cried excitedly. This was the news she has been waiting for. At least she knew that her husband was safe and has nothing to worry about.

"I know he must be okay." Amanda said and both of them were dancing around the small living room.

-----

That evening, Olivia was sitting by the fireplace, listening to the news from the old radio. Amanda was sitting by her side, knitting the blue scarf. It was a peaceful night. Suddenly, they heard the newsreader announced in a serious voice.

"Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. Tonight, we have breaking news. There was a bomb attack at the secret laboratory located in the center of Charm Mountain. On the report said, about two hundred people were dead."

"Amanda, did you hear that? I...I didn't hear it wrong, right?" Olivia's face was getting pale and her hands were trembling uncontrollably.

Amanda held her sister's hand. "We have to check the news first. They didn't say that every people there were dead, right? We still have some hope, Olivia. Tomorrow I'll buy another newspaper. I'm sure that the list of people who were dead will be on tomorrow's newspaper."

"I hope we won't find his name on the list." And then Olivia fainted.

-----

The next morning, Olivia woke up in her bed and she found Amanda sat on the chair beside her bed.

"I've got something to tell you, Olivia. Yesterday after you fainted, I was worried about you so I called Dr. Roberts to came and checked up on you. He said you're four months pregnant and it's common for pregnant women to fainting. Oh, Olivia. I'm so happy to hear this news. You're a mother now." Then Amanda embraced her sister.

"I feel like this is not real." Olivia's face then turned pale again. "Amanda, did you hear anything about Frank? He must be happy if he knows he is a father now."

"I will get the newspaper for you."

After a while, Amanda came back with the newspaper. She and Olivia searched for the name of Frank but they found nothing.

"Maybe he is still alive. I know that we will get his news soon." Amanda said.

-----

A week later, there was a black car stopped at the front of Amanda's house and a few men came out of the car. One of them was Frank.

The two men in black suit stand on either side of Frank and helped carry him. Frank looked pale but he also looked happy. Frank lost his right leg from the bombing attack. He had to use walking sticks to help him walk.

When Olivia saw Frank, she was running into him. The tears were falling down her face. "You're alive. Oh, Frank. I was so afraid that I won't see your face again."

"I miss you so much. Finally, I can keep the promise I made with you." He wiped her tears. "I love you, Olivia." Frank said and touched her face softly.

"A simple "I love you" means more than money." Olivia said and both of them smiled at each other. "Let's get into the house. I have many things to tell you."