⚜ FOUR ⚜

Edited

---(Name this line?)---

My sleep is disturbed by the sound of heavy footsteps - boots smashing against the creaky wooden floor.

"Rise and shine, ladies. Today is a very important day for some of you, so make the most of it. Carpe diem, seize the day!" A voice rings in my ears. It's way too happy for the morning.

I crack my eyes open to find Brian, the group leader, pacing up and down the room. I slowly crack my neck to look out of the big window at the end of the room; It's still pitch black outside. I twist my neck to the other side to look at the clock above the door - 5 AM.

What the heck! Who gets up at 5 in the morning?

I sit up - not caring that I have a terrible case of bedhead.

"Morning, Ally." I hear a familiar voice. I avert my eyes from the clock to look at an overly-energetic Lola. Whose bed head is worse than mine. She looks like a lion... or a daisy.

"Morning Lola," I reply sleepily. My attention is dragged back to Brian when he starts talking again.

"I need the following to come with me: Annie Parkin, Bethany Windsor, Hannah Kent, Lola Button." Lola looks at me with an overjoyed look. I'm happy for her. He reads out a few more names, including that bitch, Lydia. "And last but not least: Allenica Jones." He looks at me and smiles. "The rest of you await further instructions."

The girls that have been called, including myself, follow Brian out of the dorm room. He leads us down the corridor and I wonder where we're going.

"He's taking us to the bathroom. I told you he was nice. We're usually not allowed to do this," Lola tells me, seeing my dumbfounded look.

"Oh." Is all I manage at this ungodly hour of the morning.

"You have 5 minutes to freshen up and line up back out here," Brain states, opening a door, then standing guard next to it.

All of us rush into the small bathroom. There are five sinks, four showers and four toilet cubicles. I rush over to a sink and look in the mirror. I desperately try to fix my bed hair without a comb or brush to look a little more respectable. I wash my face with the dirty looking soap that is rotting on the side and wash my mouth out with the scummy water.

When I'm finished, I use the toilet quickly and exit the bathroom. I join the line next to Lola and Annie. We are then led down the stairs into a massive hall. Tables are perfectly aligned in rows and there is a long serving area running along the back.

We walk to the serving area and grab a tray then move along the line slowly. I finally get to a young and slutty looking lunch lady - probably the girlfriend of one the overseers. She has a red, low cut top, her boobs practically are spilling out, and skinny denim jeans.

"What ya want?" She snaps at me.

"Um." I pause as I scan the food. "Can I get a ham sandwich, please," I ask. She rolls her eyes and picks up two ham sandwiches with her disgustingly long and curling nails.

I know we don't have much in this Sector, but we damn well have some sort of hygiene.

She chucks them on my plate and motions with her head for me to keep moving. I move on to be met with a selection of drinks. I choose apple juice but swap it for water when I notice it smells funny. I then head off to find a table to sit at. My eyes sweep the room and land on Annie and Lola waving me over to them. A few other girls are sitting with them, but there is a space saved for me.