⚜ ELEVEN ⚜

Edited

---(Name this line?)---

I turn around to find my mystery man walking up the hill. My eyes meet his and I smile.

"I had to come," I say as he comes closer towards me. His eyebrow quirks up in question. "I didn't catch your name yesterday."

"Is that the only reason?" He smirks, seeing right through me.

"Yes." He gets closer and I stumble back a few steps. "So?" My back hits the tree as his body stops right before mine.

He's so close I can feel his heat radiating off him. His hand moves closer to my face and I feel his thumb trace my lips. I look up at him through my lashes as my heartbeat quickens. No one's ever been this close. I think I should push him away, but I'm too captivated by him - by the way he looks at me like he's trying to figure me out. I probably should be disturbed by it, but no's ever wanted to understand me.

It feels nice to be seen.

My cheeks flush under his gaze. He doesn't say anything, but I'm beside myself. His proximity renders me speechless. So much for my wall.

"Y-your name?" I fumble my words out. He's still incredibly close.

My eyes land on his lips and he softly bites it and draws closer. Is he going to kiss me? I've never been kissed before. I frown and slightly push on his chest when his lips are inches away from mine. I'm not about to kiss a stranger. I'm not that easy.

He doesn't push it and pulls away, chuckling self-deprecatingly as if he can't believe I've rejected him. My eyebrows knit together. Am I just getting played? That's what this feels like. Maybe I should leave. Plus I can't begin to imagine the drama I'd caused if I were caught with another man whilst in the running to marry the prince.

"My name is not important." His voice pulls me from my thoughts. I watch him run a hand through his hair as he offers me an innocent smile. I narrow my eyes at him.

"Fine. Don't tell me." I move away from the tree to put more distance between us. He seems to notice and grinds his jaw slightly. "Will you at least tell me what you're doing here?"

"I work here." He pauses and licks his lips as if debating whether to elaborate.

"Like a servant?" I push him.

"Yes, I live to serve the people." He looks proud of his answer. Weirdo.

"From the garden? Shouldn't you be working, you don't look like a slacker?" I run my eyes over him. For the first time, I look at the way he's dressed. It's smart casual. No uniform. No royal branding. He doesn't look like a servant. But before I can question him, he interrupts me.

"So, did you enjoy your first night?" he asks in an attempt to get out of the hot seat.

Fine, keep your secrets.

"It was alright, I guess." I cross my arms and sit down on the grass and look up at the sky. "I'm not really a fan of paperwork."

"Try reading it all," he mumbles under his breath so I barely hear him. "What about the palace?"

"What about it?" I draw my eyes to him as he sits down next to me.

"Do you like it?" He starts shuffling closer to me.

"Well, it's certainly extravagant. It's not anything I'm used to." I twist my lips as I look down, playing with my fingers. "It makes me feel uneasy being in a place like this."