Chapter 2

CONSTANCE

I tried not to slip on the stairs in front of the main entrance of my school, which were still slick with a layer of rain from this morning. It had stopped raining a few hours ago, but the sun refused to show face. There was a layer of thick fog in its place instead, making the surroundings chilly and eerily peaceful. 

The fog was the reason why I had trouble clearly seeing the face of a boy leaning against the front gates a few yards up ahead. He stood out against the rest, at ease with his hands in his pockets, but when he started walking in my direction, I recognized his gait before I even looked at his face. He was quite large-- tall and ripped, but did not lumber about. His steps were light, unhurried, and sure. His strut seemed effortless and lazy, but it dripped with a calculated haughtiness and a measure for perfection. He could mock you and completely fuck you over with his stride, without even having to lift a finger. He was the type to stomp on a lady's heart, then receive an apology from the same woman for making him go through all the trouble of acknowledging her existence. When the fog around him cleared as he stepped closer, and I saw the Galatea Prep crest on the left breast of his dark blue blazer, paired off with the cold indifference in his eyes that indicated that no one was home, I knew I had the right guy in mind. 

Lineas Prescott. Son of the chairwoman of Galatea Prep Academy. 

"I had a feeling it was you," I spoke, as he stopped before me. He just cocked his head back, motioning for me to follow him. His lips were pressed into a permanent, disapproving scowl, expressing his distaste for...probably everything. I couldn't remember the last time he didn't  look so stony and lifeless. I knew him since we were in pre-school, but every time I tried to imagine a toddler version of Lineas, all I could see was a disturbing image of a grown boy's scowling face on top of a chubby, squishy tummy with his bottom enfolded in a white diaper. 

We fell into a comforting silence as we crossed the road and hopped into Lineas' Cadillac. I never really felt on edge around him. I've come to learn that he doesn't care about anything that doesn't affect him, which includes what or who I was. That was more than fine with me. 

"What do you need?" I asked, cutting to the chase. He stepped on the gas pedal before I could even close my door. 

"Come back to Galatea." That's what his first words were to me.

"Absolutely not."

I heard the squeak of leather as Lineas' knuckles whitened around the steering wheel. "Why not? Why did you even transfer in the first place? Are you attracted to thugs? Wanted to spice up your boring, silver-spooned life?" 

I decided to ignore his derogatory remarks- he seemed quite mad, which wasn't very normal of him. "You're never one to beat around the bush, Lineas. I may not have seen you in months, but you're not one to change either."

"Oh, how rich coming from you, Miss Constance." There was barely restrained anger in his sarcastic tone, as well as a fair amount of anxiety. Whatever this situation was must have him in some deep shit. But why would anyone throw away the chance to see Lineas Prescott beg?

"Whatever it is you want me to do, find some other way. I'm not transferring."