Chapter 2

Billie's POV

I felt really sorry for my best friend.It's not her fault that people keep talking shit behind her back and doing mean stuff to her.I gotta protect her,no matter what happens...
But sometimes I wish she was able to defend herself.

Finally the bell rang and class ended.

I think it would be a fine idea to cheer her up a little.She was upset the whole day.

"Thank you very much for protecting me...again...",Melanie mumbled quietly.

"No problem,are you alright?"

"Yup,totally fine.",she sighed.

"Hey,there's no need to be ashamed!I told you I'll be there for you!",
I said and hugged her.

"Yeah,I know...",she said while looking on the ground.

"Let's meet at my house!",I suggested.

"I'm pretty sure that you'll feel better.We can do some funny stuff with our pets!"

Melanie nodded.
"Yeah,I'll be there in twenty minutes!"

"Yup,and don't forget to bring Phillipé with you!"

Phillipé was her pet,a tarantula.

I have a tarantula, too,named Charlotte

And that's another reason why nobody wants to hang out with us. Mel and I have spiders as pets and no one else does.
Our classmates know it and that's why they give us strange looks and call us 'weird'.
I don't mind if the whole school knows about our hobbies or personalities. I don't care because I am who I am and if they wanna hate me, I'm gonna let them. Nobody can change me. But when it comes to Mel, then it's another story.
She knows how much the people dislike her and she's depressed about it.
But today I don't wanna see her sad and depressed anymore.
Today we're gonna have some fun.

When Mel arrived at my house, we gave each other a big hug and I took her to the living room. I'm alone at home, like usually because my parents were working.

Charlotte sat on a pillow, like I told her and waited for us.
Mel placed Phillipé next to her and she stretched out her arms and legs. Mel and I smiled, it wasn't hard to see that she was happy to see her bestfriend again.

While we were playing with our spiders,we talked about some other things.

"I'm glad that I got you as my bestfriend!You have no idea how much I appreciate it being with you together!",Mel said.

I looked up in surprise.

"Oh, thanks.I do appreciate it, too!I'm always there for you, you know that!Is everything alright?",I asked.

Mel looked down like she was embarrassed. Something's wrong with her, I feel it.

"Oh,sorry!Thank you but everything's alright!Don't worry!It's just...I don't wanna bother you."

"Just tell me, whatever it is!You don't bother me!I'm there to help you, remember!", I said.

She hesitated, then took a deep breath and exhaled. She asked me a question:

"Billie, do you think that I'm pretty?"

I looked at her in surprise. Her question confused me. We've never talked about beauty and stuff like that. Of course, we are girls but I've never given a damn about it because I got my own fashionstyle. Why do I have to follow the newest trends and walk around with mini skirts? The teachers would send me home to change my clothes anyway. But Mel? Why would she start to think about beauty when she has her own fashionstyle like me?!

"Of course, you are!Why do you ask? Is there anybody who called you 'ugly'?The girls?The boys?You don't have to listen to them!Their opinions are trash!You're as pretty as you are!"

Mel's eyes widened and she blushed.

"Thanks, it just...shit...I don't know! I don't feel like I'm good enough or perfect enough...I know it sounds stupid...but it's just...I know that nobody's perfect but did you ever feel like you wanted to be like the others?How would it feel when I'm with others?How would it feel when I would change myself?How would it feel when I would act like them?Would it feel bad or good?How would it be when they're finally nice to me?",she explained.

Now I understood.
She was dissatisfied with herself and she wants the others to be kinder to her. So she got the idea of changing herself. But she questioned the idea if that's the right way at all and if she's gonna be satisfied at the end. I was shocked. I didn't know her like that. I didn't know she was that depressed like that...
I'm not gonna let this conquer her mind!
She has to learn to love herself!

"Hey,Mel...", I began.

"I'm glad that you told me. Damn, I understand how you feel! But I don't think it's the right way! Yes, you're right, nobody's perfect!I'm not perfect,you're not perfect and the others are not perfect!But you are perfect in your own way!It's so much better to love yourself!I'm serious, Mel!We are who we are and nobody has to change!People call us weird,people call us crazy...And?Then we are weird and crazy, we don't give a fuck!Fuck the fashion,fuck the trends!We can do what we want, Mel, we don't follow their stupid rules!It's us against the world,we have each other,remember?"

She nodded but she still seemed to be insecure.

"I believe, you are perfect in your own way!You have talents,remember?You can sing,you can act,you can dance,you write amazing songs,you can design your clothes!You are crazy,you are funny,you are pretty...What do you need more?",I reminded her.

She blushed again. Now she smiled.

"Thank you, Billie!I think you're right...I was so insecure about myself...I felt so bad but not anymore...I mean what I was thinking?Changing myself?Nah,I could never!I'm so thankful to have you as my bestfriend!But sometimes I feel like I'm selfish!I always have to tell you my problems and you encourage and protect me...But I never heard you complaining about your life and talk about your problems!I feel so bad when I think about it...!"

"It's ok.",I told her.

"Don't worry about it!It's not your fault!I have no problems, I live my life and that's it!I take it easy, you know?I don't care about the people!Yes, they still keep bullying me but I know how to defend myself!I'll be honest with you,you don't know how to defend yourself, that's your problem!"

Mel nodded but looked sad.

"Yes, I guess you're right...I really don't know how to do it...But I'm always picked by them and I'm sick and tired of being the victim all the time!I'm tired of being protected!It's not that I don't appreciate your help, it's just...I wanna help myself!I wanna stand up against them!I wish I could be brave enough to show them that I'm not only a little 'Crybaby'!",she admitted.

I placed my hand on her shoulder and looked into her eyes.

"I promise you to help you!I promise that you'll be able to defend yourself!But you also have to promise to yourself that you won't give up!I'm only encouraging you but you have to work on yourself!I believe that you're gonna make it!",I said.

She smiled again. But this time she looked very confident.

"I promise it to you and to myself!",she said.

I hugged her.

"I'm proud of you!We're gonna go through this!I know it's gonna be hard but we're gonna make it!"

She nodded and smiled showing her gap between her front teeth.

"What do we always say?",I asked.

"All the best people are crazy!",Mel said our motto.

"All the best people are crazy!",I repeated solemnly.

"All the best people are crazy"
- Mad Hatter