Chapter 3

Melanie's POV

Yesterday Billie and I spent a whole afternoon together. After we had a serious talk, I felt so much better than before.

But there was another thing that made me secretly the happiest person on earth:

Billie called me pretty!

I never thought she would say such thing to me. I mean, we are best friends, of course, we can tell what we feel about each other but here is the point:

I don't know why I blushed when she told me those nice things... I felt so different in this moment. I usually know exactly what I feel but this time I wasn't sure what this kind of feeling meant. I always felt some kind of ways when I'm with Billie. Sometimes this strange kind of feeling leaded me to feel so flawless and awesome but in the same time, it made me feel sick because I really wanted to know what it was. You see, I crave for answers...

I lay in bed with opened eyes forcing myself to sleep but I couldn't. I couldn't stop thinking about Billie. What was wrong with me? But wait - is that even wrong at all? 

Did I really fall in love with her? We know each other for so many years and we were the best friends. I would never come across the idea that I could fall in love with her. How is that even possible to fall in love with my best friend? She has always been nice to me. She says such cute things and she's such a savage! And she always used to protect me when it comes to those situations with the bullies at school. Maybe I should stop questioning it, it's quite obvious anyway. Instead, I started questioning how people can even hate her... They're just dumb AF!
She's an angel!

'She's my savior!', I thought in my head.

My heart beated fast before I closed my eyes. Just the imagination of being her girlfriend someday was making me crazy! I don't know if she's ever gonna be interested in me in the same kind of way but I need to know it! Whether I like it or not, there will be the time to confess my love for her. But I can't do this right now! Not now! I also need time to explore this kind of feeling. I'm too insecure.

The next day came and this morning I was very motivated! I wanted to prove Billie that I'm not gonna let the bullies bring me down.
I'm not gonna hang my head low in shame this time!

Billie and I walked into the classroom and of course, our classmates whispered some stupid stuff when they saw us.
I tried to ignore them but honestly, it wasn't easy. Deep inside of me I still felt that sharp pain. But I focused on Billie which was the better option. 'Keep your focus on positive things!', I reminded myself. Thanks to her, it was more possible to avoid their disgusted faces.

As we sat down, I expected somebody to come and pull my hair but this time I felt something little hitting my head. I heard them laughing their asses off.

They just threw a crumpled paper ball at me.

I carefully unfolded the ball of paper, smoothed it out and read quietly what was on it.

"Toothgap bitch", I read silently in my head.

Wow. That's so mean. It hurt. Of course, they meant me, because I was the only one in the class who has a toothgap. I don't understand these kids. What was actually so wrong about having a little gap between the front teeth?

Yes, it makes me look different but not ugly. That's what Billie told me once. She said I looked 'special' and 'beautiful'...

I took a deep breath preventing myself to tear up and then exhaled.