1. An apt beginning

"Focus Maeve, keep steady and keep watching".
It was an afternoon like any other. The grey clouds of the Scottish highland had cleared making way for the lazy afternoon sunshine, the kind that makes everyone feel like a good lie down with a cool drink. But Maeve had no time to be lazy for today was the day she would achieve her goal.

She could feel her aunt watching like a hawk in the background as she gripped the bowstring tighter but her vison was locked in on the target ahead.
A mechanical clatter sounded as the target was pulled along but neither Maeve nor Merida flinched. Feeling the rough surface of the string dig into her fingers she released the the arrow and let it fly.

The clearing was silent except for the satisfying thunk that let her know she'd hit her target. A perfect bullseye. Shock registered on both of there faces before the six year old began to celebrate "I did it auntie I did it!" She cheered as her aunt began to whoop and scream.
Suddenly she was lifted of her feet by her aunt in celebration.

" I knew we'd make and archer of you!" The pride was evident on Meridas face and the two spun around in joy.
" Still corrupting my daughter?" A voice boomed from the other side. Prince Hamish stood, hands on hips with a face of mock disapproval

"already done little brother " Merida retorted
" daddy look I hit it" Maeve cried from Meridas arms.
" and so you did" he replied in shock " but can you outrun... The tickle monster!" Hamish cried chasing his daughter.

Now to anybody else this would have been a touching family scene but that is not how our story begins, in fact the family were only oblivious of what was to come. Well until now.

Suddenly a horn sounded at the gate. Cries of angry soldiers echoed through the clearing as the two adults looked up in shock. Smile sliding off his face Hamish quickly began to panic as he realised what had just arrived.
"Merida take Maeve and RUN!" he cried tossing Maeve to her. Confused, tears began to well in her eyes as their red curls bobbed up and down in sync.
A soldier stepped into view bringing Merida to a halt. More soldiers surrounded them as she desperately tried to escape.
" try and take her I dare you" she cried only to be met with emotionless masks.
" We're not here to hurt you princess Merida we only ask for the child". Covering her ears Maeve buried her  head in her aunt's curls until she look up and they were being dragged to the throne room.
In it stood her family along with a strange man who she did not know. He was talking about her to her father who looked upset.
"What did I do?" She wondered silently, unaware of the soldiers dragging her from her aunt. Then the strange man began to talk at her

"Maeve Castilia"
"that's not my name-" she began only to be cut off by the guard squeezing her arm " hey that hurts, get off-" she began to struggle.
"Maeve Castilia" he began again " under the villains act of Auradon"       
" You can't do this" her aunt broke in "She's just a child" her father cried but the man continued.
" You are hereby banished to the isle of the lost, effective immediately" he finished stamping a piece of paper.

Her family began to break down as she was dragged away, screaming for her father, her aunt ,anyone that could stop these strange men from ripping her away. Tears flooded her eyes, and her screaming didn't stop until they reached their destination.

The isle of the lost was filled with all the villains that haunted the children of Auradons nightmares. The sky was covered with grey fog and the entire place stunk of trash. A gleaming gold border surround it and it flickered as they dragged her through.
Landing in an ungraceful heap on the dusty ground the soldiers quickly  retreated back towards the carriage.

"Wait where are you going" she cried as the carriage began to depart " You can't just leave me here!" She yelled, fear evident in her voice.
There was only one thing for it, she began to run at the barrier only for her hand to hit what felt like an invisible force-field that sent her flying.
Slumped on the ground she began to sob until it was dark. She was so confused as to what she had done to deserve this.
A voice broke through her misery. " Well, Well, well what do we have here?". The raspy voice cut through the air and rough hands suddenly grabbed Maeves arms.
"Fresh meat I suppose" the man wondered to himself." Where you from little princess?" He chuckled to himself as Maeve tried to break free.
"Now now don't be shy. I'm just askin-" he broke of as Maeve stabbed him in the neck.
He dropped her and she watched as he stumbled round in shock. Clearing her eyes of tears ,she grabbed the knife ,she kept hidden in the bag under her skirts, and pulled it out the wretched man's neck.

She looked on as the blood poured out of his neck as he screamed and shouted as she had done. She felt little remorse as if something had snapped in her.
The man stopped struggling and Maeve immediately started going through his pockets. He didn't have much, only a little money but it was a start.
She stood up and looked out at the dark, unforgiving water to the lights in Auradon. She couldn't go back. But she could move forward.  And so she headed  into the dark tunnel ahead.