Chapter Eighteen

Aelin paused in the tree line, sweat soaking her tunic and pants. Beyond the trees was tall, pale grass, swaying in the sea breeze. In the middle of the picturesque field, a beautiful marble and gold castle stood proudly, the turrets glistening and shining in the sun.

Any place was better than the Night Court. So, she began to change her appearance. After hunting around the tree line for a bit, she found some berries and roots. Thanks to her... studies with Arobynn Hamel, she knew how to alter how she looked with what nature provided. First, she mashed up some red berries in her hand and ran it through her hair, changing it from gold to fiery auburn. Next, she sliced up her clothes, making it seem as though she had been attacked. Finally, she rubbed a little bit of red under her eyes to make it look like she was crying. There. Now she had changed from the wanted criminal to a damsel in distress.

She had been running south for three days straight, not stopping for breaks unless she almost fainted with dehydration. Luckily, streams and rivers were aplenty through the bushland.

Clasping a chunky diamond necklace she had stolen from the little wrench around her neck and securing her red hair into a regal knot atop her head, she slipped into a new persona: a well-off traveller who had been ambushed foraging for herbs.

She staggered up to the golden front doors, setting her bottom lip trembling. Two white-robed men held golden spears in their hands, pointing them at her as she collapsed to her knees on the steps. "State your name and business," one demanded.

"Please," Aelin blubbered, tears falling too easily from her eyes. "Help me. My family was ambushed on our foraging trip and my horse flung me off and ran away and-"

"Hold on just a second," the other said, cutting her off. "What Court do you hail from? Though your hair says Autumn, your eyes say Summer."

"My parents had an affair," she sobbed, the lie rolling easily off her tongue. "They didn't want me because they didn't want to be disowned. They threw my in the river, and some travelling nomads came and took me in."

"How did you earn jewels like those if you are a nomad?" The first questioned, his eyes darting to her diamond necklace.

Aelin touched the chain at her throat. "My adoptive father helped me earn a well paying job as a healer."

The guards froze. "How are you a healer? You aren't from the Dawn Court."

Shit. "Herbal, of course. I happen to be quite excellent at mixing remedies." She paused, racking another sob. "Please. All I ask for is a night's stay, and then I will leave you in peace."

The guards whispered to each other for a moment, then the second one said rather gently, "You are safe here. Welcome to the Day Court."

~

Aelin scrubbed her body luxuriously, relishing in the feel of hot water on her dirty skin. She had been escorted upstairs to her own personal chambers, and then ordered to bathe before she was to dine with the High Lord Helion.

The bath water ran red with the dye from her hair. Once she was finished scrubbing herself raw, she stepped out of the claw footed bath and towelled off. When her hair was dried, she reapplied her berry dye to her hair, and got dressed into the loose white dress offered by her host. It was a blessing compared to her ragged tunic and pants.

She braided her hair down her back and wrapped it up into a knot at the base of her head. Please with her appearance, she stepped out of her rooms and found herself facing her guards.

Stone-faced, they escorted her down to the main dining room, her silk slippers soft and cool on her feet. When she entered the dining room, her mouth watered at the scent of the rich food. A stupidly handsome man sat at the end of the table, his dark skin glowing in the faelight. He cast her a lazy grin. "So," he said smoothly, getting to his feet to approach her. "You must be our guest for tonight."

Aelin bowed low, her lashes tickling her cheeks. "My name is Daeva. It is an honour, High Lord," she said, straightening her back. Helion bowed in turn, brushing a kiss to the back of her palm. "The honour is all mine," he said, winking at her. Aelin bit back a grin, careful not to show her elongated canines.

He guided her over to her chair, pulling it out for her. She sat gratefully, her eyes scanning the delicious array of food. "What is your last name, Daeva?" Helion asked, taking his seat and sipping his wine.

Aelin ducked her head, pretending to blush under such attention from a High Lord. "I have no surname. Us nomads don't belong to any family. We go where the wind takes us."

Helion hummed, taking a bite of roast pork. Aelin took a dainty sip of her wine, the rich flavours incredible on her tongue. "So, tell me Daeva, how is it you stumbled upon our humble home?"

She almost snorted. 'Humble' was not a word she would use to describe this palace. "You see, High Lord-"

"Please, call me Helion," he said, smirking seductively at her.

She blushed, not entirely faked this time. "Well, Helion, I happen to be a healer. I was out hunting and foraging for essential herbs and roots when my adoptive father and I were ambushed by a pack of wild animals." She forced out a tear, sniffing elegantly. "I don't know if he survived."

"No need to worry now. I have my best personal guards out looking for him now. You are safe here."

Aelin bowed her head humbly, taking a bite of spiced lamb. "Thank you, Helion," she replied, an evil smile spreading across her face.