Chapter Twenty-Four

Aelin could barely see her mate through the tears pilling down her face. She whimpered as Rowan's eyes widened, taking in her messy appearance.

"Fireheart?" He said, looking around at the shocked Fae. "What-"

Aelin didn't give him a chance to finish before she barrelled into him, her arms wrapping around his neck and holding him tight. She curled her legs around his waist as his arms came around her, strong and comforting. She slammed her lips onto his, kissing him with all of her fire, both magic and soul.

She burst into tears, pulling back and sobbing into his neck.

"What happened?" He said quietly, gently stroking her hair. "You've been gone all day."

Aelin pulled back at this, frowning slightly. "What?"

"I saw you this morning, then no-one else saw you for the rest of the day. Where have you been?"

Aelin blinked rapidly, her breathing and heartrate increasing.

She'd only been gone for a day?

"But..." she said, staring into his pine-green eyes. "I've been gone for weeks."

This time is was Rowan's turn to frown. "No, you've been gone for a day."

Aelin shook her head, sliding from his grip as she shoved her face into her hands, another sob wracking out of her. "Rowan, listen to me you stubborn bastard. I went through that damned portal and landed in a place called Prythian, escaped prison multiple times, completed a warriors initiation course, stabbed a few people, burnt down a building, killed some Valg and attended a ball. Trust me, I've been gone for weeks."

Rowan gaped at her. "How? How is this possible?"

Aelin took a deep breath, voicing something she hadn't dare say aloud this whole time. "Because... We're in another world."

~

I gaped at Aelin, who wiped her eyes. "We're not in Terrasen anymore," she said staring up at the terrifying warrior. "We're not even in Erilea anymore. We're in another world."

The warrior stared at her for a second, seeming to have a conversation with her with his eyes. Then, he directed his icy gaze up at the Night Court. He growled, a pure predator sound, and bared sharp canines. I gulped.

Aelin slapped his bicep. "Stop it with the territorial bullshit. Their allies. And right now, that's not what matters. What matters is that the Valg are back."

Rowan turned his now unreadable expression back towards Aelin. "What do you mean?" He said, his hands resting on her waist.

Aelin rolled her eyes. "You just killed one, you idiot."

Rowan glared at her. "Obviously. But what I mean is how are the Valg in another world?"

What in Cauldron's name is going on? Rhys' voice echoed in my head as Aelin and Rowan conversed, their expressions angry and relieved, somehow at the same time.

I have no idea.

Well, let's just hope he can help us defeat the Valg.

Aelin shook her head, pointing a finger at Rowan's chest. "Hold on. How did you even get here?"

"Fleetfoot showed me to that stone. When I saw your blood in it, I had guessed it was a portal."

"So you activated it?"

"I'm sorry, but can you explain? I am completely lost," Mor blurted, and Aelin and Rowan both turned to glare at her. She crossed her arms, glaring right back.

"Just, shut up for a second," Aelin said, waving a hand and then placing both on her hips as she glared acid at Rowan. "So you followed me into a different world, leaving our kingdom without a ruler?"

"Aedion can take care of it-"

"Our kingdom?" Rhys butted in, his deep voice cutting over Aelin and Rowan's bickering.

Aelin froze, then slowly turned. Her eyes glowed.

"You're a queen."

Aelin bowed at the waist, a crown of fire flickering to life above her head. "Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, Queen of Terrasan, Mate to Rowan Whitethorn, Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's Assassin, Lillian Gordania, The King's Champion, Witch Slayer, Heir of Fire, Heir of Terrasan, Heir of Brannon, Heir of Mala Fire-Bringer, Fireheart, Dianna Brackyn, Elentiya, Nameless, Fire-breathing bitch-queen, Aelin of the Wildfire, Aelin Fire-Bringer, Aelin Light-Bringer, The Queen of Light and Shadow, The Queen Who Was Promised, The Gods Killer, The Faerie Queen of the West, at your service."