(5) Thomas

I hear the Box alarm go off and I drop the map that I'm making for the Runners. As a Map-Maker, I have to create maps for the Runners to draw the Maze on. Me and Colin, another Map-maker (and, coincidentally, my brother), run to the Box and we get there just as it is being opened. 

"Day one Greenie, rise and shine," grunts Gally as he jumps into the metal contraption. I roll my eyes at his theatrics and pull Colin over to near the front of the Box, where my best friend, Newt is standing. Gally helps the Greenie up and I see him for the first time. I was hoping for a girl, but this boy is different from all the rest. For one thing, he's cute. Newt, Minho and most of my other friends were cute too, but this boy was more... my type. I think to myself, Maybe being the only girl in the Glade is going to be a good thing, with a smile. 

As Colin and I are walking back, Newt catches up to me and asks to speak to me privately. Colin agrees and he walks off in the direction of the Map Shed (NOTE: Idk if this is a place or not, I just didn't know where the Map-makers would work so i made up a place :3). I walk towards Newt, hoping he didn't notice that I had just developed a HUGE crush on the Greenie. 

"You have a huge crush on the Greenie." Newt grins. 

"Was it that obvious?" I groan

"A little," 

"Great." 

"But only to me, I'm your best friend." Sighing gladly, I tell Newt not to let anyone else know about my crush on the Greenie. 

++++++++++(TIME (to the bonfire) SKIP)++++++++++

"Y/N, sing for the Greenie!" This from Colin. I saw Newt, Minho, and Colin talking after you and your older brother had finished work, so I had a suspicion that Newt told the other guys about my crush. 

I had never sang for anyone except Colin, Minho, and Newt. They all told me that my voice was amazing, but I didn't think so. And besides, I only knew one song! 

"Yeah, sing for the Greenie!" You shot a glare at Minho. Newt walked up to you and handed me a guitar, a.k.a the only instrument that I can play without making a complete fool of myself. After a few people badgering me to sing, I finally sat down on the makeshift stage and began. 

"You're on the phone with your girlfriend, she's upset," I begin to sing as you play the guitar. I actually play pretty well, since I had gotten lessons from Newt. 

"She's going off about something that you said, Cuz she doesn't get your humour like I do." I notice that the Greenie's eyes are fixed on mine. I blush and gain confidence as I sing. 

"Listen," I hear Newt's voice talking to the Greenie. "She has the voice of a bloody angel." 

"Wow, she's amazing," This comes from the Greenie himself! "And really pretty, too." I glance over in their direction and Newt gives me a smirk. I sigh and finish my performance. 

"You belong with me~" As soon as I strum the last chord, the Gladers cheer so loudly that it drowns out the Grievers whining and clicking. The Greenie walks over to me as the noise slowly dies out. 

"Hi," I greet him with a smile. 

"Uh, hi. Your singing was really amazing." 

"Oh, thanks." I blush and immediately hate myself for it. "So, have you remembered your name yet?" 

"No, not yet." Just then, Gally throws another Glader out of the ring. The other Glader, whose name I don't know, slams into the newbie. Gally looks at him and gestures into the ring. 

"Whaddya say, Greenie?" Gally says. "Wanna see what you're made of?" Newbie stares at Gally uncomprehendingly. Then, Jeff starts a chant. 

"Greenie, Greenie, Greenie, Greenie," The chant grows steadily louder as more Gladers join in. I see Minho straighten up as the Greenie walks into the ring with Gally, who tells him the rules. All of a sudden, the match starts. 

Gally pushes Greenie to the edge of the circle, where he is pushed back in by the Gladers on that side. I roll my eyes. The Greenie lands face first in the sand after being pushed by Gally. Chuck, the little brother of the Glade, winces and I pull him next to me. I know he tries to act brave, but inside he's just a little kid. Like the rest of us. 

"Stop calling me Greenie." 

"Stop calling you that? What do you wanna be called, shank?" Chuck bursts out in a fit of laughter next to me. I roll my eyes again as the Greenie charges Gally. Newt looks impressed while Minho shoots a glance my way. I shake my head and continue watching the fight. Greenie charges Gally again, but this time something's different. As Gally pushes him towards the edge again, I realise what Greenie's about to do. 

Dodging out of the way at the last second, Gally is driven into the sand. Minho raises an eyebrow and Chuck looks like he's just seen a ghost. As for me? I am astonished, and I have just developed an even deeper crush on him. As the Greenie stands up, Gally sweeps his legs out from under him, causing the Greenie to fall and bang his head on the ground. Everyone groans and Chuck cringes again. 

Suddenly, the Greenie jumps up. 

"Thomas," he whispers. "Thomas! Hey, I remember my name! I'm Thomas!" Thomas shouts. Everyone cheers and high fives him. I walk over to him after everybody finishes. 

"Thomas, huh?" I ask. 

"Yeah," he says. "The name seems like it should fit a brave person, but I'm not that brave." 

"I bet you are!"  I reassure him. The firelight flickering off his face seems to make him look younger. Suddenly, there's an awkward moment of silence. Then we're leaning in. Then, Thomas kisses me. Then, I am happier than I've been in a long time. 

A/N: Sorry, this isn't my best work, but I hope you enjoyed it! I didn't know what to call Thomas, so I just kept referring to him as "Greenie" haha! :D

Luv u Gladers! 

-Lisssssssssssss