Chapter Eleven: The Third Night

Mike awoke at ten, his body screaming to go back to sleep. He resisted, swinging his legs over the side of the bed as he clambered around for the lamp on his nightstand. The light erupted, crusty and orange. He stretched, cracking his back in three different places before he stood to go get ready for his literal graveyard shift.

  Mike made his way down the hall, adjusting his button down shirt sleeves irritably. As he passed the counter, the man behind his newspaper snorted, alerting Mike to stop dead in his tracks.
  "Package for Mr. Schmidt," he grumbled, lifting a rusty key by his pointer finger. Mike raised an eyebrow, taking it cautiously.
  "Thank... you?"
  "The bike's out front."
  "Bike..." Mike repeated. "Right." With that, he continued his way out the door. To his right, padlocked to the bike rack, was a rusty silver bike that looked like it hadn't been touched in sometime. A note on the handle bars read: it's all I could find in a hurry. -Anonymous. Mike smirked, suddenly relieved about not having to walk all the way to the pizzeria in the dark. He unlocked the padlock and straddled the seat, zooming somewhat slower than usual into the darkness.

  He skidded to a halt in front of the pizzeria, arriving only a few minutes until ten and locked the bike securely up front, careful of the few cars parked near it. He opened the door with a nervous hand, scoping the pizzeria. Iris sat at one of the nearby tables counting his money while Charlie and Jose cleaned up shop. Mike swallowed, making his presence known.
  "We're about to close," Iris grumbled, thumbing a twenty. He looked up, faking a smile when he recognized Mike. "Why! Mr. Schmidt, you're early!"
  "I know, I know," Mike greeted, "I wanted to get my bearings."
  "We haven't had such a proactive security guard in a long time," Iris criticized, glancing at the camera behind him, "good help is hard to find these days." Stomping from down the hall alerted everyone that Violet had heard and was on her way to defend herself. Charlie sighed, looking pleadingly at Jose.
  "Not my circus, not my monkeys," Jose muttered, keeping his head down as Violet came into the dining room.
  "Why don't I just take my paycheck now and do you a favor and leave early?" She snapped. Iris put his hands up defensively.
  "If it were allowed in the Freddy Fazbear guidelines-!"
  "Oh shut up about the guidelines," Violet snapped.
  "S-Say, Bonnie," Freddy said over their heated argument from the stage, "how about a piece-piece-piece of shit- piece of p-pizza?" Mike furrowed his brow, straining to hear the robotic conversation over the voices of Iris and Violet. Had he heard that correctly?
  "Let's not do this in front of my employees," Iris growled, his face reddening. Violet's eyes narrowed.
  "Oh-ho! Your employees?"
  "Yes Freddy, I'd love a piece," Bonnie replied, "remember kids, ask-ask-asshole-ask your parents before you p-purchase anything at the register."
  "Um?" Mike tried in a fruitless effort to interject their conversation, "I think something's wrong with the-?"
  "You know what," Violet snapped, turning to Mike furiously. She stormed over, slamming the keys into his hand, "I'm going home."
  "Good riddance!" Iris cried, "and when you come in tomorrow-!"
  "If I come in tomorrow!"
  "When you come in tomorrow," Iris continued, fury riding heavily on his words, "you better have a new change of attitude."
  "Remember, Freddy Fazbear's is supposed to be fun-fun-fuck off- fun for everyone!" Chica clucked. No one except Mike heard over the slamming of the door as Violet stomped to her car parked outside. The four remaining in the pizzeria stewed in awkward silence. Mike looked down at the keys in his hand as Iris stood.
  "I... apologize for her behavior, everyone."
  "Don't," Jose snapped, "blame this one on her." Iris raised an eyebrow testily.
  "Would you like to leave too, Mr. Escamillo?" Jose glared but stayed seated, turning back to Charlie who was ashen in the face. Iris returned back to his stack of cash and after attempting to count it again, gave up and stood. "Let's... all just... try again in the morning. Mr. Schmidt, I'll lock you in if you hand me the keys."