15

The past events were fresh on Sadira's mind as she stood in the fog. She had barely been able to get to sleep earlier, but when she had done so, she had to be woken up by Greez. "You've been out for almost 13 hours, kiddo. Thought you were dead." The Lateron had strolled away almost immediately, leaving Sadira to collect her things and sprint out of the base. She didn't have much time before Jase arrived, and she needed to try and convince him that to call the arrangement off. She had no idea how, though.

As she made her way in the direction of where she met him the other day, she thought of Cal. She couldn't place exactly what she was thinking of, but it was just him. He plagued her mind like a rabid, deadly disease. The thing was, she actually enjoyed the feeling.

  She stopped when she saw footprints engrained into the mud. They weren't fresh. They had been there for a day at least—how long it had been since she had her reunion with Jase. Sadira placed her own boot against the footprint, and it matched perfectly. This was where she had met Jase, meaning that he couldn't be far.

  "Jase," she cried as she walked forward. "Jase Broxin!" She was far enough away from the base to not be found out, but was still paranoid that someone near would hear her.

  After calling his name over and over again, no one appeared. Sadira sighed, debating whether she should return to the others and be truthful with them. At the time, it seemed like the best course of action.

  "I knew you'd come running back to me." Jase's voice filled her ears. He stood in front of her, smirking. Sadira's pounding heart increased in speed as she noticed the two masked Bounty Hunters at his side. Once again, she was rendered speechless around him. "How was your brawl with the Empire?"

  Sadira pursed her lips. "A lot of damages and deaths. We got them to retreat, though."

  "Damn," he said, raising his eyebrows. "And your friends?"

  "They're okay. Not too badly injured."

  "No, Dee," Jase snickered, glancing to his accomplices. "I meant about the plan. Did you do as I said?"

  Sadira could hear her heartbeat in her ears. "No."

  Jase's face dropped. "No? Was there an issue?"

  "Yeah, there was." Sadira clenched her fists, digging her nails into her palm.

  "Do tell," Jase said.

  Sadira hesitated. "We need to call it off."

  Eyes widening, Jase stepped forward. "Call it off? Why?"

  "I'm not joining you. I can't."

  An expression of hurt flashed across Jase's visage. "Dee, I thought we agreed that you'd help us. We had a deal, remember?"

  "I don't want your money or your protection, Jase."

  "But you need it-"

  "I don't." As Jase's breathing increased, Sadira's relaxed. She was beginning to feel in control. "You were right before. If I had never left, you wouldn't be where you are today. I would be the leader of the Guild and you know that."

  "I've told you that I know that. And I'm okay with it," Jase said, his face flushing scarlet. He gestured for the Hunters to leave them.

  Sadira shook her head. "You're not. You want me to join you this way because it means that you'll have leverage over me. You know what I want, and you know that you can use it against me."

  "Why would I ever do that? Sadira, we grew up together. We survived together. Why wouldn't you trust me?"

  "Exactly," she quipped. "It's all about survival. You need me and my friends in order to survive; to keep your place as leader by proving yourself. This was never about trust or loyalty. It was about you."

  Jase's face contorted into a scowl. "Fine. You're right. The plan was to sell you out with the others as soon as I got you. You win."

  Sadira didn't know whether to feel overjoyed that she had been right, or terrified by his words. She stepped forward and gazed into his eyes. "This isn't the only way, Jase. You can leave all this and stay with us. Here, you don't just survive—you live."

  Something flickered in his eyes. Sadira recognised it as hope, or maybe even agreement. For a moment, she thought that she had succeeded. "I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

  "Jase, I-"

  "No, Dee." He blinked away the tears in his eyes. "You've chosen your life, and I've chosen mine. Don't try to change that."

  Sadira felt her heart clench. What the hell am I going to do? she thought. My plan failed, which can only mean one thing: he's going to attack, and I'll have to prepare the others. Any trust I gained from them will be destroyed.

  "I can see you're worried," Jase spoke after a little while. "Don't be." He sighed. "I'll call it off. Tell the others that the Empire won and took you guys for themselves."

  "No one gets hurt?"

  Jase nodded and smiled. "No one gets hurt." He held his pinkie finger up, and Sadira looped her own around it. "That's a promise."

  "Thank you, Jase. I hope to see you again."

  "Me too," Jase muttered.  "In better circumstances, of course."

  "Yeah, of course," Sadira agreed.

He leaned down to kiss Sadira's forehead. It was something they had done before, when they were stranded and struggling together after they fled Coruscant. The action was a promise of loyalty. After a while, it became a declaration of love. But this time, it didn't feel the same for Sadira. There was something else; something she couldn't ignore.

  Jase moved back before he could do anything else stupid. For him, the action felt different too. They had both matured so much, especially Sadira. She was stronger, and braver, and more opinionated. He was proud, but couldn't deny the fact that it made it harder for him to control her.

  "Goodbye, Dee," Jase said, walking backwards whilst keeping his eyes locked onto Sadira's.

  "Goodbye, Jase."

  Something in her told her that it wasn't the last time she'd be seeing him. Part of her hoped for that, but another part feared it; feared what he could or would do.

  Something in her was correct.